Ring Around the Rosy | Teen Ink

Ring Around the Rosy

“Ring around the rosies, a pocketful of posies. Ashes ashes, we all fall down!” The children sang out. It was a popular little song among the young ones. I looked out the window, at the sun stained grass and bright sun. It was another clear day in April, with a soft breeze that flew past, gently brushing cheeky faces. Cherry blossoms surrounded the small meadow and miniscule petals sunk to the ground as the children ran in circles, holding hands. The air held a fragrant, almost heavenly smell.
It was the Garden of Tsujigiri, Tsujigiri meaning to kill a random person with a sword. Why it was given that name, I know not.
The scent was simply heavenly.
I turned back to my client and let out a small sigh. She was a dainty one, with large, delicate eyes. I liked her plenty. I resumed my work, pushing the fake glasses up my face and scribbling fake notes.
“So,” I began “how are you feeling today?”
She looked at me. “I want to die.” She said it simply, as if we were discussing the weather. No worries. It was exactly where I wanted her to be.
The scent grew in strength and I drew in a long breath. My mind filled with a fuzzy of satisfaction. I was reaching my goal. Hell, this was painful, slow work, but it paid off in the end. Ending people of their miseries. I enjoyed my job very much.
“Why do you feel like dying?” I asked, trying to keep the boredom out of my voice.
“Life just gets worse and worse, no matter what,” she said “I have no purpose in life. There are over 7 billion people on this planet. My death would be another burden released from this world.”
“What keeps you from committing suicide?” I asked her. My mind began to awaken at a green light. I was so, so close.
“I actually don’t know, Dr. Fish. I guess I keep looking for some hope. It always turns out to be false, so maybe I should do it…” Her voice drew on into silence.
The brightness in the room increased and the small breeze grew just a bit. I watched as a cherry blossom petal landed on my lap. It was a precious thing, a delicate pink, a sort of teardrop shape. It was beautiful. I have it to this day, rotten and crippled, a disgusting brown.
The scent became a perfume.
I snapped myself out of my daze and smiled at my client. “Oh, Mary. Now… Do you think suicide will put you out of your misery?”
I was so close. So damn close.
“Yes.” Her reply was quiet, almost a whisper.
I leaned in closer, mere inches away from her face. My voice became a near whisper.
“Then, Mary, if it would put you out of your misery, it might be a better option, don’t you think?”
The children’s voices became louder. “Ring around the rosies, a pocketful of posies.” I finished the song in my head. Ashes, ashes, they all fall… down…
She stood up, straightening her small dress. Those thighs…
“I think I should go now, Dr. Fish,” she said “I don’t want to take up too much of your time.”
“Yes, yes,” I said “take care, Mary.” She responded with a small nod and exited the room. I continued to stare out of the window, watching the small, delectable children run around. What a nice meal…
I heard a small shriek as someone ran into my office. It was a tall, redheaded woman with the best arms. My assistant, Jean.
“Dr. Fish! Mary, your client, just got run over by a car! Possibly suicide, considering the state she was in when she came to you.” She shrieked. How that stupidly annoying voice irritated me so. I nodded and ushered for her to leave, turning back to the window. Three down and many more to come. I had reached my goal.
Oh how the scent intoxicated my lungs before I fell into deep sleep, eternal. The cherry blossom petal on my thigh sat untouched. A precious thing, pink and a sort of teardrop shape. Yes, this place was heavenly. Yes, yes, I thought as the drug of a drunken sleep pulled me under a veil of silenced death.

HereSheIs BRONZE, Wellesley, Massachusetts

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." -Plato

*cherry

I love your recurring theme of the cheer blossoms woven in to add to the quality