Bus Ride | Teen Ink

Bus Ride

I always hated the bus. It's always full of unnecessarily loud teens, and it was even worse towards the back where I was. They looked like animals, a group of savage beasts. I rested my head against the window and made a desperate attempt at sleep.

My seatmate nudged my arm. I hadn’t even realized I dozed off. I began to gather my things, she grabbed my arm.

“That's not it, Sky.” she whispered. Her voice was shaking.

I turned to look at her, “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“We,” she began, “we passed the school 10 minutes ago.”

“What?” I asked. “That’s a little weird, but it's nothing to freak out about. I’m sure the bus driver jus-”

“There’s more.”

“Okay. What is it?” I felt a lump begin to grow in my throat. Except for the occasional sob, the bus was silent.

“Jennifer,” I said, “tell me what’s happening.”

Jennifer glanced to the front of the bus, my eyes followed hers. My breath hitched.

“Who’s that?” It felt more like a statement than a question.

“I- I don’t know.” tears had started to form. “ When we got to the last stop before school, they just walked on and told Mr.Benson to keep driving. After that, they pulled out the guns.”

“They?”

“One in the front, two more behind us.”

“I- I need to get out of here!” I said. I stood up.

“No,” she said. “It's too-”

I didn’t hear the shot, I didn’t feel any pain either, just heard the screams. I was confused at first, then my legs went limp and I collapsed on Jennifer. I suddenly felt tired, and everyone was so loud.

Jennifer began to sob. That was the last thing I saw, and then black.