In a Blink of an Eye | Teen Ink

In a Blink of an Eye

May 26, 2017
By Shorty:p SILVER, Oviedo, Florida
Shorty:p SILVER, Oviedo, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today was such an awful day. I was sound asleep when I woke up smelling something warm, lightly sweet, bread like smell. My brother and I woke up to see who was cooking. We were standing behind a wall trying to peek into the kitchen. “ OMG Sheyla look it's mom” My brother Noah had said. Just looking at her caused an overwhelming of emotions. I was angry because we haven't seen her all week, but happy that she was back home and safe. My mom saw us from the corner of her eye and asked us to come into the kitchen. She have me such a tight hug I felt like my insides were going to pop out. We looked at the stove the was directly in front of us and we saw PANCAKES. We can to the table to get served for food. I was sitting in the middle of the table with my brother across from me. My mother was on the left of me and my “mom’s boyfriend matthew” on the right side of me. Noah has a big appetite so he ate 4 pancakes at first then asked for more. My step dad got mad and told my mother anna not to give him not nothing. My mother ignored him and gave noah more. Mathew was a very controlling and abusive stepdad and needed everything to be his way. He stood up threw the pancakes on the floor and forced our mother to eat it. My brother being so young started to cry then my stepdad tried to hit him and I jumped in front of my brother so he wouldn't get hit. But that's when everything went wrong. After I jumped in front of Noah my stepdad beat both of us until our skin bubbled up and we no longer weeped. He denied us food, sleep, showers, everything you could think of. The entire time by mom stood by watching this happen. She chose her man over us. A few days later my brother died by starvation. He was so weak that when they tried to offer him food he couldn't eat it because he was to weak to chew. Two days later I died also I became so depressed that I didn't have the strength to do anything.

This lovely lady named Sasha moved in here one month ago and little by little we were sending her clues to a book we had hidden in this tunnel where we had been placed...I felt like it was taking an eternity for her to find out where the book was placed and I knew I had to do something big so she wouldn't miss what we were trying to say. Our book and bodies were placed inside the room she sleeps in now and inside her closet there's a crawl space between 2 suitcases and all she has to do is take out the 4 little screws and go through the space to find us. Sasha had left to go to work so we had about 8 hours to do what we had to do. My brother and I took all the pictures in the house and hung it up on the right side of her room so it looks like all the eyes are pointing or looking towards the closet. Then Noah took the tool box and placed it inside the closet with the screw driver placed on top of the tool box pointing between the suitcases. Noah had yelled “Sheyla im done” then I said “Okay now all we can do is wait”.Sasha tired and hungry walked slowly into the bedroom. She yawned as she kicked off her shoes. The bed bounced when she plopped herself down. With her eyes closed, she laid back and re-lived the events of the day. The argument she had with her boss. The short exchange she had with Mike. "He laughed, so I think I came across ok." Sasha thought. She smiled to herself, opening her eyes to look at the ornate tiles that covered her bedroom ceiling. As she sat up, contemplating what she'd have for dinner, she noticed something wasn't right. She began to look more closely around the room. Where? How? All the pictures in the room were arranged on one wall. Sasha turned slowly examining each wall. Not one picture was left on the other 3 walls. Feeling a little unnerved and confused, Sasha slowly approached the one wall completely covered with pictures.  It appeared. No, it couldn't be. Could it? All the people were facing in the same direction! How could that be?She figured it out and walked straight into the closet then later into the crawl space. She saw our bones and the book in my arms, she cried and cried for hours then finally started to read the book.After sasha read everything she had reported it to the police. They took my mom and stepdad to jail. Four years later my stepdad died in jail by a few jail mates jumping him. My mother is still in jail serving life.