Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

tikapeek97 said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:53 am
wow that is really good. It was cool how he was saved by a medical condition. You should check out and comment on my story Running.

Andy B. replied...
I cannot seem to find your article. Could you please pass me the link?

SarahUncharted said...
i loved this. i had to look up dextrocardiac, but seriously, this was great

Andy B. replied...
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

itsmejustme said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:03 am
VERY VERY GOOD! I am very MUCH IMPRESSED. I MEAN LIKE, WOW!

Andy B. replied...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 4:24 am
It makes me happy that you enjoyed the story that much! Thanks for the comment!

qui133 said...
wow, this was cool. i had to look up what dextrocardi-ac ment, but it all made sense after that. really awesome!

Andy B. replied...
Thanks for your comment! I know the page says "dextrocardi-ac", but that's a typo. I'm not really sure where the hyphen came from. Happy you enjoyed it!

Radiah said...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 8:01 am
I liked this sooo much! it's wonderfuL! Write more, you're talented!!! :)

Andy B. replied...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 8:21 am
Thanks for the comment! Very much appreciated! Glad you enjoyed it!

caludia said...
Wow this is awesome, so intense.  Really a great short story, love it!

Andy B. replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 4:14 am
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

crazymonky said...
really good and awsome you should definit;y write a book i aint a big reader butafter reading that i  would definitly buy ur book

Andy B. replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 4:13 am
Thanks for the comment!

JelloAngel92 said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:00 am
HA! oh man! the suspense! and the twist! haha! dextrocardiac? That's awesome!

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i've read this story a few times now and like it more and more each time  i cant get over how clever and well written it is  this is my second time commenting on it, but i just wanted to let you know that i think your a very good writer, and would love to read some of your other stuff if you have anything up  also, and i hate to askt this,  but could you check out my story Manso's Shame  i'm really looking for feadback on that story and would greatly appreciate it 

Andy B. replied...
Thanks for the comments, both of them, they mean a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoyed my story. PJD17, I just read "Manso's Shame", nice work. Left you a comment. JelloAngel92, I'm going to check your stuff out now. I'm sure I'll love it!

JelloAngel92 replied...
haha, sure you you'll like it if you like romanyic stuff

Bridgette17 said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:17 am
The title made me want to find out more. The introduction got me hooked during the first sentence.

Andy B. replied...
Thanks for the comment! Glad it caught your attention! It's a really interesting condition, isn't it?

Maximum.Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It sucked me in and I couldn't get away!!! Aaaaaaahhhh!!!! :p Anyway, awesome job!!!