Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

Deathbyflower said...
I wish i could get comets like yours

Andy B. replied...
Thanks! I read your works. Pretty interesting!

LiveLoveAnna said...
Wow this was just amazing! It was soo well written and rich. You have true talent !

Andy B. replied...
May 23, 2011 at 9:39 am
Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Cheers!

MomoFlame said...
May 22, 2011 at 2:38 am
This is great! Very short and to the point but still with the suspense. Dextracardiac? That's fantastic haha

Andy B. replied...
May 22, 2011 at 8:17 am
Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for the comment!

missscribbles said...
May 21, 2011 at 9:03 am
WOW. "tickles and prickles". Love it.

Andy B. replied...
May 21, 2011 at 9:11 am
Thanks! Happy you liked it!

fraggot698 said...
May 14, 2011 at 10:23 am
Andy B.: Hey, do you think you could check out my story Only Almost? It's located in the other novels section under fiction. It should be in the category of most recent. I'd really apreciate it if you could read it and give your honest feedback. Thanx :)

Andy B. replied...
My pleasure! Thanks for commenting!

tikapeek97 said...
I cant get over what a great strory it is I loved it each time I read it. Keep up the awesome work. If you could check out my newest story Guilty at Heart I would really like it. Good job again. =)

Andy B. replied...
Thanks for the comment! I'll read your story right away: sounds interesting! Glad you enjoyed!

sufferingANDsmiling said...
I don't care what AdultSwim has to say, your story was AMAZING!!!! I absolutely loved it!!!! I would be totally, like, honored if you read my poem Bcuz Of U. Please read it and please give your honest opinion. I also have the beginning of a story posted on one of the forums. If you'd like, I'd really appreciate it if you read what little bit of the story written and give me some constructive criticism. Thanks, and again, LOVED the story!!!! :)

Andy B. said...
May 13, 2011 at 3:19 am
Thanks! It would be a pleasure to read your works! Glad you enjoyed!

withoutyou said...
May 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

Still not over what a cool story this is!!!!!! Ughs, srry if i spelll stuff wrong in my comment. I just got out of school & am totally beat seein as i got only like 3hrs of sleep.

Thanx 4 the really nice comment on my poem!!! Really appreciate it :)

Shawntae90 said...
AMAZING!!! It made me want to look up what the ending means. It was really good! Really nicely written, and the ending was perfect, truly!! :)

Andy B. replied...
May 7, 2011 at 11:59 am
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

IncorrectlyWired said...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:45 am
Man, perfect opening hook... perfect ending. I didn't know what that condition was at first. That might be my only "complaint." But I still really liked it.

Andy B. replied...
Thanks! A lot of people don't know the condition, that's one of the things I found interesting about it! Glad you enjoyed!

tikapeek97 said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:53 am
wow that is really good. It was cool how he was saved by a medical condition. You should check out and comment on my story Running.

Andy B. replied...
Thanks! I'll check out your story right now! Glad you enjoyed!