Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

NinaAA said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 7:43 pm:
I am IN LOVE with the ending. The way you describe this scene is like I am an onlooker. WOW good job

Andy B. replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 4:23 am :
Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Cheers!

Aamna said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:16 pm:
this was amazing. Loved your descriptive writing style. I had to look up dextrocardia, but when i found out what it meant, everything made sense. Awesome twist. Check out my story called Precarious Pursuit. Its in realistic fiction. Again, great work! Keep writing.

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 10:29 am :
Thanks! I'm happy you liked it! I am sure I will love your story just as much!

RubyRed123 said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 6:20 am:
Wow didnt expect the ending.  Loved how it was a twist

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:14 am :
Thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed!

cookiemonstaaa97 said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm:
definately going in my favorites :)

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:03 am :
Thanks! I'm happy you liked it!

brookey said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm:
wow!! i lov it!!! didnt expect it to end like that at all!!!

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 5:17 pm :
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed!

Carabear said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 9:15 am:
I loved this, especially the pun in the title, it was very well written!!

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 9:45 am :
Thanks for the comment! Much appreciated! Cheers!

jazzy13 said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm:
wow! man that was AWESOME!! you write good! imma check out some of your other writings!

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 6:01 pm :
Thanks for the comment!

SabreEleven said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 3:35 pm:
Fantastic and phenomenal job! Your writing style is incredible :)

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm :
Thanks! That means a lot to me! Glad you enjoyed!

killr said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm:
strange article, it was well written but if you consider it you have seen the movie ninja assasin then you would expect this ending since they are the same

Andy B. replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm :
Glad you liked the writing. The article predates the film: "Ninja Assassin" came out towards the end of 2009 and this was published at the beginning said year. Thanks for the comment!

RhythmAndRhyme said...
May 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm:
Very well written! Keep makin' this stuff. Extremely fun to read, and a very interesting addition to my day. Thanks! :)

Andy B. replied...
May 26, 2011 at 6:03 pm :
Thanks for the comment! I am very happy that I could warm your day!

Deathbyflower said...
May 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm:
I wish i could get comets like yours