Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

on Aug. 31 2011 at 2:11 pm
Scott_Pilgrim331, Farmers Branch, Texas
This piece of literature was amazing! I really loved it becuase it was intresting and very well written. The ending was the best. Keep up the writing!

Kay... BRONZE said...
on Aug. 31 2011 at 4:53 am
Kay... BRONZE, London, Other

Life is not accomplished when reaching the Destination, it is the journey that creates success.

One of the best pieces i've read on this website so far....great work, i'm a first timer and i would really love some comment and feedback please. Thank you..x

on Aug. 29 2011 at 4:21 am
Thanks! Your story was great!

on Aug. 26 2011 at 8:19 pm
inkblot13 PLATINUM, Auburn, New York

"If I knew where poems came from, I'd go there"

- Michael Langley, 'Staying Alive'

This is amazing!! I loved the first bit when Death being talked about and the ending, it was perfect!

PS-Check out some of my stuff?

on Aug. 22 2011 at 4:34 pm
Free_One PLATINUM, ????, Ohio

"I am not invincible or unstoppable, but I stay strong because it is the only way to survive in this world."

WOW!!! This was very good!!!! AWESOME!!! And thank you for taking time and reading my story the beast. It was apreciated! Thanks a bunch! Cheers!!! :)(:

gg gigle said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 4:30 pm
Super >>>

jh gris said...
on Aug. 22 2011 at 4:29 pm
A*!!!!!!!!

j friks said...
on Aug. 18 2011 at 4:38 pm
Excellent !!!

on Aug. 7 2011 at 7:45 am
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! I read your article: very unique and interesting! Sorry for the delay. Cheers! 

on Aug. 2 2011 at 2:10 pm
iamonecoolradiator, London, Other
Loved it! Your vocabulary is really great! I agree with one of the comments above, you should definetly extend and expand the article :D if you ever have any spare time please look at my work! it's not long and I really need some feedback! x

on Jul. 29 2011 at 3:58 pm
Thank you very much! Your kind words are much appreciated! Thanks again, glad you enjoyed!

wasps said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 1:48 pm
wasps, Other
Oh My Gosh, Oh My Gosh ........ please, continue the story, make it into a book, then publish it, then sell it to a shop, so that I can go to that shop, and then I can buy it, and savour every last word :) Amazing . . . 

on Jul. 25 2011 at 9:22 am
Thank you very much! I'll check out your works. They sound interesting! Happy you liked it!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 9:21 am
Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you enjoyed it! The best of luck with biology!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 9:20 am
Thanks! I think the title is what I most worked on when writing this!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 9:19 am
I really appreciate your comment, but I would also appreciate if you did not use this in a competition. I am not saying you can not do something similar, but please do not copy anything word for word. Thank you for your comment.

Greycloud said...
on Jul. 22 2011 at 5:21 am
Greycloud, London, Other

yep, talk about a twist! I had to look up dextrocardia too (and as I should be studying bio it makes my guilt a bit smaller), so I enjoyed it and learned something new!

Just slight criticism, you said frozen sweat was pouring (and I am really picking at the hair on the soup here), but if something's frozen...can't pour down...I'm guessng it's not literally frozen, and it's just a way of expressing it's really cold, but I'm just saying..

on Jul. 18 2011 at 8:25 am
Free_One PLATINUM, ????, Ohio

It was was AWESOME!!! great job! (Sorry for advrertizing) I just wrote two stories called nightstalker and the beast. If anyone could check them out and post some comments and feedback that would be great. Thanks! and keep writing everybody! :)(:

GaelicC said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 9:13 am
GaelicC, Longford, Other

No -Rosa Parks

This is an excellent story and I love how the title ties in with the end! Really enjoyed it:)

on Jul. 11 2011 at 7:16 am
Thanks for the comment! Cheers!

Parkland Book