Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

on Nov. 19 2011 at 5:44 pm
selahoverrated GOLD, Mt Sidney, Virginia
i think it is mysterious because you really dont know what got jack to this point were he is face to face with death...... great story, leave it just like this!!!:)

peacerocks said...
on Nov. 19 2011 at 10:34 am

I NEED MORE COMMENTS PLEASE!!!!!! This story is mysterious.........................................

yes or no????????????????????????

on Nov. 17 2011 at 8:45 pm
ChristopherW BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"you can never get enough of what you don't read"

A delectibly delicious story, I loved how it took me in multiple directions

on Nov. 16 2011 at 2:50 am
Cloudyday92 BRONZE, Merced, California

The quietest people have the loudest minds.

Yay it was good!

on Oct. 31 2011 at 4:43 pm
Pwincess BRONZE, Yourcity, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
That is such a wierd opning!

pablo45 said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 11:32 am
this book sounds intresting im ganna have to read it one day

on Oct. 27 2011 at 2:40 pm
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
Great story- nice and concise.  Just one small thing- didn't Jack still get shot through the lungs?  

on Oct. 25 2011 at 1:24 pm
deleteddeletedFoff, Columbus, Ohio
bravo. very intriguing

Zantesha said...
on Oct. 24 2011 at 5:50 pm
Zantesha, Spartanburg, South Carolina

'There's two sides to a story, but only one side to the TRUTH*' -Zantesha :]

really liked this !! the ending was PERFECT* :]

on Oct. 23 2011 at 12:40 pm
ThePhoenixRising BRONZE, Macomb, Michigan

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.
—Albert Einstein
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
—Albert Einstein
I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
—Bill Cosby
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. (Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)
—Unknown Author
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
—Pablo Picasso

I was captivated by your first sentence, "Looking down the barrel of a gun". Amazing!

on Oct. 16 2011 at 11:18 pm
Anonymous_7 SILVER, Branson, Missouri

-The only time you can get away with murder is when writing a book!

I enjoyed reading this! It was really intresting and I liked how you wrote Death to seem like an actual physical form. The ending was not to be expected ;) You did very good and should continue to do your best. Keep it up!  Also, Would you care to comment/rate my work? Thanks!

on Oct. 13 2011 at 4:53 pm
I really liked this, it was random but in a good way and interesting. Keep writing!

JacindaP said...
on Oct. 10 2011 at 11:53 pm
The suspence was great. Very nice conclusion and nice body paragraphs. Great job.

on Oct. 8 2011 at 2:15 pm
kelseyp96 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"heart can be broken but it still keeps a beatin' just the same" -Movie, Fried Green Tomatoes

very intense but maybe some more development

peacerocks said...
on Oct. 7 2011 at 10:25 am

This story is amazing! It leaves you in suspence and wanting more! I like how it is only a little part of the story it leaves you wondering.......

Reply if you think this story is good!

on Oct. 2 2011 at 7:01 am
Wearing_Westwood GOLD, Cary, North Carolina

Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things. -Ray Bradbury

GAH!!! I LOVE THIS!! It's amazing and I actually like how it's just a segment of a story, it leaves you wondering.

sberning said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 1:46 pm
sberning, Mauston, Wisconsin

I Plead The 5th.

i think you need to give more info on jack.

Destinisi said...
on Sep. 23 2011 at 9:02 pm
Destinisi, Jacksonville, Florida

Everyone has their own opinion, mine is just better then yours.

It was okay, you led us up to a big scene but left out details after Jack was shot. The intro was intriguing though.

amchaucer said...
on Sep. 15 2011 at 9:55 am
This was amazing. I loved how you used very descriptive words. Keep up the GREAT writting!!

on Sep. 14 2011 at 6:56 pm
aLine1417 PLATINUM, Nogales, Arizona

"It's hard to wait around for something that you know might not happen,but it's even harder to give up,when you know it's everything you ever wanted"

i love it! :D

Swoon Reads

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!