Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

By Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other
Andy Binker Cosen BRONZE, Buenos Aires, Other

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:39 am
Thanks for the comment!

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:38 am
It was written as an exercise in class, trying to make it as short as possible, so there wasn't meant to be much character development. Thanks for the feedback!

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:36 am
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed.

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:34 am
Thanks! I'm happy you liked it!

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:27 am
It was written in an English class, as an exercise to write an extremely short piece, so I did not develop the characters at all. It would probably be interesting to expand it at some point. Thanks for the feedback!

on Jan. 6 2012 at 9:25 am
Thanks for the comment!

on Jan. 3 2012 at 4:14 pm
alexb42621 PLATINUM, Brecksville, Ohio

"To err is human."

this was great! The ending was so unexpected, and it makes the reader kind of laugh at themselves for assuming like super natural ressurection. We're so used to that being the case, it's weird and humbling when we don't get what we expect. Good Job!

on Dec. 27 2011 at 10:44 pm
Def_Leppard_fan120 SILVER, Lake Lorane, Florida

If you want your dreams to come true, Make them come true. If you want to win, Make it a win.
The only one that is stopping you from accomplish your dreams is YOU.

Check out my article called THE BATTLE by Def_Leopard_fan120 and leave a comment on what you thought about it

on Dec. 27 2011 at 3:00 am
HarperLee BRONZE, Lanchester, North Carolina
This was extremely well written. I LOVED the ending. It was a little comical for me, and very surprising. If this is the beginning of a novel, I would suggest further develop meant of Jack: Why is he so twisted? Has his past initiated this outlook on death? But if this is just a short story then I would leave the vague feel to it as is. It leaves the reader thinking. And that's what all great stories should do. PS- Would ya mind checking out some of my stuff? :)

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:44 pm
Thanks for the kind words!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:34 pm
Glad you enjoyed it!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:33 pm
Very much appreciated! Thanks!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:24 pm
Thanks! I'd be more than happy to read and comment on your's!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:11 pm
Thanks! I'll be sure to check your's out too!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:08 pm
Thanks a lot!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:07 pm
Thanks for the comment!

on Dec. 18 2011 at 1:03 pm
Glad you enjoyed!

on Dec. 17 2011 at 5:13 pm
Alechcim SILVER, Plano, Texas

"There's no such thing as impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world.- Ganhdi
"I have no failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison

The introduction really catches your attention. Very very good job!:)

on Dec. 11 2011 at 9:03 am
Ahmad-Mobeen GOLD, Rawalpindi, Other

Understand life... Don't just STAND UNDER it!

It's really great! =)

Well, guyz, I'm new here and would really appreciate your support. Please give my story "The Enigmatic Cause" a read and rate it! Please! Sorry if this feels wrong to you. Thanks. =)

on Nov. 28 2011 at 7:08 am
BabyDocra BRONZE, Plymouth, Other

Love is like the ocean; You cannot contain it for it is too large, but you cannot unleash it for it would drown the world.

I loved the opening, it was the first thing that grabbed my attention. I also favour your descriptions of the characters actions. it's obvious you took time to think about the realistic respones of the characters. I hope to read more of your work later on, you are an inspiration.

Parkland Book