Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

Def_Leppard_fan120This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Check out my article called THE BATTLE by Def_Leopard_fan120 and leave a comment on what you thought about it

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 10:02 am :
I sure will! Cheers!

Hope E. said...
Dec. 27, 2011 at 3:00 am:
This was extremely well written. I LOVED the ending. It was a little comical for me, and very surprising. If this is the beginning of a novel, I would suggest further develop meant of Jack: Why is he so twisted? Has his past initiated this outlook on death? But if this is just a short story then I would leave the vague feel to it as is. It leaves the reader thinking. And that's what all great stories should do. PS- Would ya mind checking out some of my stuff? :)

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 10:01 am :
Thanks for the feedback! I would love to read some of your stuff too!

TherearemanyAnnasbutIamtheORIGINALANNA said...
The introduction really catches your attention. Very very good job!:)

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:59 am :
Thanks! (Nice user-name)

Ahmad-Mobeen said...
Dec. 11, 2011 at 9:03 am:

It's really great! =)

Well, guyz, I'm new here and would really appreciate your support. Please give my story "The Enigmatic Cause" a read and rate it! Please! Sorry if this feels wrong to you. Thanks. =)

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:58 am :
Thanks for the comment! I will be more than happy to read your story too!

Ahmad-Mobeen replied...
Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:11 am :
Thanks for taking the time out Andy! =) It means a lot! =)

Magpy said...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 7:08 am:
I loved the opening, it was the first thing that grabbed my attention. I also favour your descriptions of the characters actions. it's obvious you took time to think about the realistic respones of the characters. I hope to read more of your work later on, you are an inspiration.

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:57 am :
Thanks! I really appreciate it!

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i think it is mysterious because you really dont know what got jack to this point were he is face to face with death...... great story, leave it just like this!!!:)

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:56 am :
Thanks for the feedback! Cheers!

peacerocks said...
Nov. 19, 2011 at 10:34 am:

I NEED MORE COMMENTS PLEASE!!!!!! This story is mysterious.........................................

yes or no????????????????????????

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:55 am :
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Thanks for checking out my story!

ChristopherW said...
A delectibly delicious story, I loved how it took me in multiple directions

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:51 am :
Thanks for the comment! Very well written!

Pwincess said...
That is such a wierd opning!

Andy B. replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:50 am :
Definitely. Thanks for the comment!

pablo45 said...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 11:32 am:
this book sounds intresting im ganna have to read it one day