Death Has Its Heart in the Right Place

Looking down the barrel of a gun is a strange feeling, but after staring into Death's dark face so many times, Jack had become accustomed to the tickles and prickles that run across your spine. It had become a familiar, a common, an ordinary feeling. He almost liked it, the sensation, of Death looming about, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. To him, it was intoxicating. It made his heart race, his blood pump and adrenaline run. It was like being in love for the first time, and the last. Yet every time that the Reaper swung his scythe on the mob boss, he always seemed to stop, never finishing the job. It was as though he, Death, took pleasure in seeing Jack sweat under his blade. They both enjoyed the mad thrill, but it seemed that this would be the last time they would saviour it.
Bang! The thunderous roar of the gun shattered the calm night. It was over.
'Here. You can keep it,' the assassin tossed the smoking gun onto Jack's cold lap.
A sinister smile cut the killer's face. Raising his chin proudly, as a young boy does after winning a prize, the mercenary turned around slowly, savouring his victory. Now all he had to do was collect his pay and live comfortably on some exotic island for the rest of his life, without worries, without problems, without necessities, without ' Bang! A second shot.
The assassin's knees broke under the pain. One moment he was savouring glory and the next he was savouring the bitter sweet taste of warm steel, the killer kiss of a bullet. On all fours, he lifted his trembling hand up to his chest: his shirt was soaked in blood that was spewing out on both sides of his trunk. He was cold, weak, in pain. Frozen sweat poured down his face as his insides burnt in anguish.
Writhing on the floor with no strength at all, he turned around to see who the shooter was. Behind him, sitting in the same leather-cushion seat he had been sitting when the assassin came in, Jack sat. The only difference was that now his right arm was outstretched with his fingers curled around the gun. His eyelids were heavy upon his red eyes, but he still maintained them wide open.
'No ' Impossible ' I shot you ' I shot you in the heart.'
Jack licked his lips and explained slowly, enjoying every word, 'I am dextrocardi-ac.'

Maximum.Ride This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It sucked me in and I couldn't get away!!! Aaaaaaahhhh!!!! :p Anyway, awesome job!!!

Andy B. replied...
I'm happy you liked it! Thanks for commenting!

Ahbed in the morning said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:07 am
MY POEMS ARE BETTER

Andy B. replied...
I'd love to read them. Can you pass me a link or something?

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really good story very well written   could you please check out some of my stuff?  i only have one artical posted right now, but i have a few more im about to put up

Andy B. replied...
Mar. 13, 2011 at 8:01 am
Thanks for your comment! It'll be a pleasure to read your works!

Andy B. said...
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Lillie said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 11:38 am
Fantastic!  I loved that.  Right out of a suspenseful mob movie or book.  Way to go!

Andy B. replied...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 7:06 am
Thanks for your comment! Cheers!

BookFreak14 replied...
I loved that. You got to keep writing!!! I will read all of your work. KEEP IT UP!!!!

Andy B. replied...
Thanks! That means a lot to me! Cheers!

BookFreak14 replied...
No Problem.... So have you writen any other stories in this or other catogories???  I would love to read some of your other stuff.

Andy B. replied...
May 31, 2011 at 4:24 am
I'm thinking of uploading something new any time soon, but I haven't yet. As soon as I do, I'll let you know. Thanks for your interest!

rhodasown said...
I like your punning title. Very clever and well done.

Andy B. replied...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 9:41 am
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!

skyler_anne said...
wow, this is AH-MAZING! even my brother who hates to read really liked this. he said that if it was expanded into a whole book he would probably read it:) mind checking out some of my stuff? thanks!

Andy B. replied...
Sure, will do. Thanks for the comment. Glad you and your brother liked it!

Bianca S. said...
Sick with it!! That's awesome!! You did very weel with different themes of terror and mystery and i liked how you used a medical disorder to tie the ending :) Awesome!!

Andy B. replied...
Happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting!

lwb_21 said...
killer twist man. hey i just started writing again and was wanderin if ud check out sum of my stuff.

Andy B. replied...
Sure, more than glad to. Happy you enjoyed mine!