Fortune Cookie | Teen Ink

Fortune Cookie

“Come on, eat it!” They were in the Chinese restaurant. She was his girlfriend, and he was taking her out for Valentines Day. They had been having a good time, until the waiter brought the fortune cookies. He took a cookie and ate it, but she just looked at hers and didn't move. “What's wrong,” he asked. “Oh nothing,” she said. “I just … never liked anything to do with fortunes; they freak me out.” He tried to get her to open it, but she refused. “Fine,” he said “I'll open it, and you read the fortune.” She sighed, relenting. He took the last remaining cookie and opened it. She read it,  her eyes going wide. She grabbed it out of his hands, and threw it away. “What's wrong, what did it say?” He asked. “Oh, nothing. Why don't we get out of here and go to the outlook?” Well he wasn't stupid. He knew what he had to do. “Yeah sure, I'll just pay and…” “No, I got it” she said “You always pay, it’s my turn. Just go warm up the car.” Happy and excited, he practically ran to the car and waited for about ten minutes. When she finally came in, he asked what took so long. “Oh,” she said with a laugh “there was a line.” He was so excited, he forgot that they were alone in the restaurant. He drove as fast as he could to the outlook, and when they got there, they just sat for a while looking at the trees. He finally decided to move in to kiss her and then.. she screamed as loud as she could. “Hey, what’s..” he was cut short by a flashlight being shone into his face. “WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED,” a man screamed. “COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD!” He came out trembling as a man tackled him. “Are you Ryan Smith?” “Yeah” he replied. “You are under arrest for murder and robbery.” “What?!” He screamed, surprised “at Green’s Chinese restaurant, you sent your girlfriend out, and tried to rob them. When they didn't give it to you you shot them, then took the money.” The man looked at Chantelle “Your girlfriend told us the whole thing.” Unbelieving he said “No, no I was outside. Tell them Chantelle!” She had a look of fear on her face as she said “I had to tell them Ryan. How could you hurt all those people?” As the police took him past her she whispered “Don't blame me, I'm just doing what the fortune cookie told me to do.” Reaching into her jacket, she pulled her fortune out and showed him. It was covered in blood, but he could still see it said “Make your dreams come true.”