Ignorance is bliss | Teen Ink

Ignorance is bliss

February 13, 2017
By Anonymous

“I’m from the city of Bigotry where everyone doesn't see color, where people love one another for who the truly are. The sun is always shining and the weather is always eighty degrees, everything is perfect it would seem. My mother tells me the day I was born everything was different and nothing was perfect. She told me the moment I took my first breath was the moment that Bigotry was in complete disorder. It started with the temperature. It fell to negative 30 degrees.”
“What does killing your-”
“Just let me finish my story. As I said before the temperature fell and then people started to see, color. No one had ever seen the color of trees or the color of skin. My mother says that when she saw me she couldn't believe what she saw. She thought to herself how could someone who lacks color give birth to someone with so much color. She then went on to tell me that I was ugly and that she could never  love someone like me. However she raised me. That all she didn't love me she didn't support anything I did. At school I was outcasted along with the other kids who looked like me. Last week I just couldnt take it anymore and I had to ask my mother why no one loved me. That’s when she told me.”
“You’re a murderer. You killed your-”
“I didn't mean to. She drove me to it.”
“You're a monster!”
“No I’m the colored one!”
“ what is that?”
“ The colored ones, the ones who changed the world. The ones who f***ed everything up! Everyone who was born that day is colored. We were all outcasted and bullied.”
“ Just admit to killing your mother and you can go home.”
“I killed her and I don't regret it! She was never my mother, she never loved me!”
“ This happened when you were ten you're thirty-five now, how has this affected you.”
“I can’t love, I can’t be the mother I want to be. I want to love and support my daughter but all I do is resent her. She has it so easy”
“ Do you wish she wasn't born?”
“I wish I was never born.”
“Well you were, have you contacted your father?”
At this moment Kelly looked at the therapist and told him “ My father is the real reason my mother despises me, he raped her. Do you understand how I feel.”
“Yes I understand”
“No you don’t! Your life is perfect! You raped my mother then left! You’re the reason why she hatted me, You’re the reason why I killed her!” Kelly abruptly stopped and heard the piercing sound of a bullet in her chest.
(fades to black)
Veronica jolted up in the middle of the night and turned to to her husband. “ Did you have another dream about her?”
“Yes, why do I keep dreaming about Kelly?”
“ Because she’s your mother.”
( Cuts to credits)


The author's comments:

I wrote this in 30 min.