Deeper than the Dead | Teen Ink

Deeper than the Dead

By KM_Wichser BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
KM_Wichser BRONZE, Cannon Falls , Minnesota

I know what its like to be afraid of your own mind

Walking through the woods is almost always eerily calm, deathly silent, and amazingly peaceful. One of the main characters, Tommy walks home with his best friend almost every day. One day they decided to take a shortcut through the woods, but are stopped by the school bully and his sidekick. As Tommy and his friend are being chased, all four of them tumble down a hill. That is when their lives change for the worst. All of their lives take a turn that nobody wants for any kid. Just so you know this book is not for everyone. Deeper than the dead is definitely not for the faint of heart.The romance, horror, and mystery is enough to make this Deeper than the Dead one to read for anyone within a certain age group.
  This story has got budding romances and romances that have gone rotten. The author gives us the sappy love story of two of the main characters in the book. In the midst of all the chaos they find that they find safety in each other's arms. On the other hand a few are going bad. Blame is being thrown and nobody knows who they can  trust. One family is on the road to insanity. Who would ever think that the killer is someone who everybody in the town trusted. Romance may be only a small part of the story, but it's the horror that  really keeps people hooked.
The author is unbelievably phenomenal  at making it seem like i’m watching the story instead of reading it. Sometimes the visualizations are so real; however, at times they seem to real. Some chapters are really disturbing and just plain old gross. The true horror is how good the murderer is at not getting caught. Numbers grow as years pass and he starts to get c***y. Not everyone’s home life is amazing. Mister sheriff is not as good as everyone thinks. Especially not our school bully, his son, and the sheriff’s wife. When reading the story people tend to feel bad for the son. When they reach the end they can’t believe that they ever felt sorry for him. Everybody loves the sheriff. They save the day. Protect the town. Nobody thinks they can ever do any harm. Not this one: however he isn’t the only bad apple in the town. Everyone has secrets. Nobody’s life is an open book. While this book can be classified as horror it is mainly mystery.
Hardly anyone can resist a mystery to be solved. This book gives many clues hidden in the chapters. If they can find them and can piece them together before the book is done. Be warned though there isn’t only two or three big clues. This story might have over one hundred clues we have to find and piece together. The author loves foreshadowing. This book is more so for those who have a strong sense of intellect when  reading. She doesn’t just give us the foreshadows. We have to work for them. Most of the time when we think we figured it out, we haven’t. She gives us clues that make us rethink everything. Who knows those clues might be tricks. When we combine all these things it makes an amazing book.
So in only one book we get: budding romances, gruesome horrors, and haunting mysteries. Tommy went through some terrible things that we wouldn’t wish upon yourself, nor anyone else. Next time tommy takes a walk through the woods, hopefully he doesn’t end up falling straight into more horror.  If I ever take a walk through the woods I will be careful of falling down hills. So even if we live in a relatively small town be careful. We might think we know everyone pretty well, but sometimes the psycho is just hiding behind the mask of a normal person.

This is one of my favorite books and i think everyone should read it.