Fun Man | Teen Ink

Fun Man

By KDKat01 BRONZE, Los Alamitos, California
KDKat01 BRONZE, Los Alamitos, California

Do better than your best

In the streets roam a tall man with big eyes, pale skin, and hair black as coal.  He pushes his colorful circus style cart filled with brightly colored balloons, cotton candy, and cinnamon roll. “Hi, my name is Fun Man, wanna play with me?”, he asks the children with a big, inviting smile.  “I have toys to play with, lovely songs and a circus too.”

“We sure would,” the children insist and follow him down the street with a happy prance.  He entertains the children with whimsical songs that make them smile and dance as if in a trance.  No care in the world of homework and chores that must be complete.  Just the trance that leads them around dark corners and through unknown streets.

When the music stops they find themselves in front of a circus tent brightly colored and pleasing to the eyes.  Excitement overwhelms them as they hear what sounds like laughter coming from the inside.  As they walk inside they are greeted with sweet smells of popcorn. Images of circus performers pinned to the wall look down on the children as they walk through the front room.  "Look!"  The children exclaim.  "There's the muscle man and the flying trapeze girls.  There's the lion tamer and the dancers that twirl.  Look at the clowns acting silly in a pose."  The children can hardly wait for their awesome show. 

What the children don’t know is that Fun Man’s circus is one of horror where the sounds of laughter turn into cries.  The further along they walk they can feel the heat of the place rise.  “Not to worry,” Fun Man assures them, “It’s all part of the show.  The fun is about to begin.”  They continue to follow him deeper into the tent as the rooms get darker and darker, hotter and hotter and fear starts to set in.  The only light they see ahead of them is the light of a burning fire where they hear the screams and cries of other kids within.  By this time, it is too late for any child to change their mind.  Their excitement and expectations have driven them far enough that they are unable to turn back, too dark for them find their way to the homes they left behind.  As the sinister laugh of evil hovers above them, they realize they are in the pits of Hell.

Now, no one is there to save the children for no one knows they are even there.  All the children who enter Fun Man’s circus of horror are selfish, mean and disrespectful to their mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters. You see, Fun Man is only seen by the bad boys and girls with no care in the world of homework and chores.  Perhaps, there will be one who will realize their faith before they reach the depths of the circus before it gets darker and darker, hotter and hotter and fear starts to set in.  Maybe then they can turn and run away, back to their homes they left behind before they are forgotten by friends and kin.

Wonder1 said...
on Feb. 3 2017 at 12:54 am
Loved the story and the imaginative context. This is definitely a writer!

tatiana said...
Lots of talent kiddo! Keep it up! Move over Stephen King! <3. <3