The Words That Can Destroy Someone | Teen Ink

The Words That Can Destroy Someone

Heart beating out of his chest, Curtis doesn’t know how he is going to be able to knock on the door. He dreads the five steps it takes to get on top of the porch. The paint on the house is chipped and looks like it’s been there forever. He hears the creaks while the wind blows, moving the house and also giving off the smell of the soft, chewy cookies that his grandma used to make when she walked the Earth. All he can think is why did he -- a 12 year old, blonde haired, blue eyed, 4 foot 7 inched boy --  want to know what was beyond the other side of the door?

While tip toeing across the porch that felt like a mile long to get to the door, his clenched hands start to pour sweat into his palms. He starts to tremble, and he feels his throat drying. Slowly he  makes the move to open the door. The door handle, a goldish color and as round as a ball, is as cold as the ice on the ground. He gives it a little push, but the door doesn’t budge, so he puts his shoulder up to the door and pushes harder. The door swings open, and it makes a boom noise once it hits the wall behind the door.

His ears start ringing, hearing the blood that is going through his body, he feels his face get hot and turn red. He makes a step inside the house. While peeking with his eyes squinted he sees his grandma. All confused that his grandma is sitting at the dining room table that's in the house, he stops and starts to remember when he attended his grandma's funeral. She never wore a dress like that, she never wore her hair in that type of style.
Ring, Ring, Ring, He makes another step towards the sound that's coming from where his grandma is sitting. As he is moving he looks down at the ground to see where he is stepping, out of the corner of his eye he sees something move and yanks his head up to see his grandma has left. At the peak of his emotions of being nervous and confused by his grandma being in the same house as him he wants to break down and cry. Why didn’t I make an effort to talk with her, why didn’t I run to her and hug her one last time, is it because of the thing I said to her last on how she had favorites in her grandkids and I’m not one of them?

Shuffling into the dining room/ kitchen area of the ghostly looking house, Curtis sees the oven door is wide open with a tray of freshly baked cookies. Being spectacle of how the cookies got there he wasn’t sure if he should touch them or just leave them and maybe then they’d disappear when he looks away. Curtis looks out the window that is next to him to see if the cookies will disappear and when he slowly turns his head back to the oven and sees grandma standing there with the pan of cookies getting ready to set them down on the counter top.

Grandma grabs a glass dinner plate, the white with the two blue stripes that go around the outside of the plate with the blue diamonds that are between the stripes. Curtis thought to himself I remember seeing those plates when I was younger. He snaps out of his thoughts and sees grandma being a plate of cookies over to the table. The table looks just like the ones in the pictures that are in my memory book that my mom made me. And a glass of milk

Curtis picks up the top cookie, one little nibble to see if it’s real, all the flavors are still the same as when she made them while she was alive. She takes a seat at the table with curtis, just listening to him chew and slurp down his milk.

“Grandma why are you here?” no answer. “Grandma can you talk with me?” still silent.

Not sure of how to respond to grandma being there he just continues to eat his cookies, He explains to her on how he wishes she could come back to life and make her cookies for him every weekend like she use to do. The family could do one last family get together with her. She smiles at the reasons curtis said to her, He takes the last swig of his milk and while he does he closed his eyes while he took his last drink, he puts the glass down and when he opens his eyes back up she is no longer there. Curtis gets up and starts looking for her.

Knowing that grandma is now gone those last moments he got to spend with her would remain with him for the rest of his life. Even though she couldn’t respond back he knew she’d forgiven him of all the terrible things he had said before she left this beautiful world.