The Crystal | Teen Ink

The Crystal

January 6, 2017
By Bulldog7 BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
Bulldog7 BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On chilly evening, three boys named Billy, Joe, and Dupree are camping in the woods behind their house with towering pine trees. There is a full moon and the wind is whistling in the trees.  Billy is 16 years old. He is small with brown hair and brown eyes. Joe is 17 years old. He is tall and scrawny with red short hair and has brown eyes. Dupree is 16 years old. He is an average height boy with black hair and green eyes. They want to do something fun together because Dupree will be moving out of town soon.
Billy asks, “Did you guys hear that? It sounded like some sort of crash.”
Joe is scared and says, “Lets go home.”
Dupree says, “Lets just sleep.” Billy gets up and starts walking towards the sound. Dupree moans and gets up and follows him. Then, Joe gets up and says, “wait for me.” Billy picks up a stick and uses it to move the bushes out of the way. They walk for a while when they see a dirt road and come across a small crater that had a rock in the middle. Joe says, “We should go back.” Then Billy races into the crater with excitement and asks, “What is this thing?” With Joe standing back, Dupree follows Billy into the crater and says, “It looks like some kind of huge crystal or asteroid.” After a few minutes of staring at the object, they hear cars coming. They look in the direction of the cars and see lights coming towards them. The three boys booked it into the trees where no one could see them.
They watch quietly while people in bio- hazard suites examine the area. They scan the crystal with something that looked like a metal detector. Joe says, “we better tell someone about this.”
Billy says, “Lets check it out when they are done.” When they leave, Billy runs into the crater. Joe stays in the trees and Dupree goes with Billy. Billy picks up a piece of the crystal and Dupree asks, “Is that part of the asteroid?”
Billy says, “I think they forgot this piece.” They walk back to camp and Joe asks, “ What are you doing with that?”
Billy says, “I’m going to keep it.”
Dupree asks, “Are you sure that is a good idea?”
Joe says, “You don’t know what that thing is or where it has been.”
Billy replies, “I’ll be fine.”
Joe says, “We could be in serious trouble.”
Dupree says, “Calm down and everything will be fine.”
As they go to sleep, Billy stairs at the crystal wondering where it came from. The next morning, they pack up camp and head home. When Billy gets home he realizes that his phone was still fully charged after having it on the camping trip. He then gets an idea that maybe the crystal charged his phone, which seemed highly unlikely. He put the crystal next to his laptop that has 50% battery left and the battery percentage shot up to 100%. He could not believe what happened so he called Joe and Dupree. He says, “You Guys have to come over right away and bring any devices that do not have 100% battery.” They get there within fifteen minutes riding their bikes. Joe asks, “What is going on? Did something happen?”
Dupree says, “This better be important because I was supposed to be packing and I got in trouble.”
Billy says, “You guys aren’t going to believe this but the crystal charges things like phones, laptops and I-pads. When I came home I noticed that my phone was completely charged after camping with no charger. I put the crystal next to my laptop and it charged it in seconds.” Then, Joe and Dupree put their devises next to the crystal and they charged within seconds. Dupree says, “That’s why the people in bio hazard suites were there.”
Joe asks, “Do you think they will come after us?”
Billy and Dupree both say, “I don’t think so.”
After a while of fidgeting with the crystal for a while, they hear a knock at the door. They look out the window and see people in business suits. Joe says, “Oh no, we are dead.”
Billy says, “Let’s get out of here.” They run down stairs and sneak past Billy’s parents who are talking to the visitors. Then, they go running out the back door, hop on their bikes and head towards Dupree’s house. When they get there, they run to his room and Joe asks, “What are we going to do?”
Billy says, “We are going to move the crystal back and forth between our houses so it confuses them.”
Dupree replies “Are you crazy, they will eventually figure it out and then what? I’ll tell you what we are going to do. We are going to put it back where we found it.”
Joe says, “ We should just get ride of it and put it where no one can find it.”
Billy says, “Why can’t we just keep it?” Joe then agrees with Dupree and says, “Who knows what they will do to us if we are caught.”
Billy then replies, “Fine, we will do it your way.”
They head out on their bikes towards the spot where they found the crystal. As they arrive at the site, Dupree takes the crystal and tosses it into the crater and says, “Doesn’t that feel better?” As they walked back to their bikes, they see a black SUV coming towards them. Joe says, “Oh no its them.” They see someone come out of the car. It is a tall man with broad shoulders and black hair in a black business suit. He walks up to the boys and shows them his FBI badge and says, “Thank you for returning the rock.”
Billy asks, “What is it.”
The man replies, “It is an asteroid that has to be studied and can be dangerous if not used with care. You boys did the right thing.” He then heads back to the car with the rock and drives off. Billy, Joe and Dupree stand their wondering what just happened and Joe says, “Can we go home now?”


The author's comments:

I wrote this as an assignment for a creative writing class.