Unlikely Monster | Teen Ink

Unlikely Monster

January 9, 2017
By abby9602 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire
abby9602 BRONZE, Newmarket, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Timmy is afraid. He lays in bed, staring at the dark ceiling, wishing to be anywhere but in his room. It was hard to believe a few hours earlier sunshine leaked through the window. Now, the darkness makes it look like shadows dance in the corners, taunting the cowering boy. The once happy room, is now a nightmare.


Roar! The monsters shout ripples through Timmy’s room. The other monster bellows, almost as loud as the first, making Timmy tremble like violin strings.


Silence cuts through the house, like a knife through butter. Silence is the calm before the storm, and Timmy could feel that a hurricane was upon him.


The silence broke. On the stairway leading to Timmy’s room footsteps were as loud as thunder. Timmy bit his lip, allowing a single tear to fall down his cheek. The footsteps continued, until the beast loomed outside the door.
The door swung open, causing Timmy to whimper in terror. Now the monster knew he was awake, now he was doomed. Timmy’s wide eyes lay on the silhouette of the beast in front of him, the light from the hallway illuminating it. The monster takes slow steps towards the shaking child.


“Why aren’t you asleep boy?” The monster questioned, in a raspy voice. It’s breath smelled of rotten garbage, it’s teeth shone like light bulbs through the darkness.


“I-I’m sorry.” Timmy managed to stutter, his voice cracking, barely above a whisper. A familiar scowl broke out on the monster’s face. Timmy made a huge mistake.


“Sorry doesn’t cut it.” The monster spoke, never taking his eyes of the terrified boy. It lifted it’s iron fist into the air. Timmy knew what was coming, and gripped the blankets tighter, squeezing his eyes shut.


His last thought before the monster struck was, why Dad?