The Real Monster | Teen Ink

The Real Monster

By falesa BRONZE, Springville, Utah
falesa BRONZE, Springville, Utah

Grace sat on the couch getting ready to watch one of her favorite scary movies; though Halloween was long past. She waited in darkness. Then the first character appeared on the screen. Grace screamed and hid her head under her blanket. The figure was so distorted, so unreal. It made Grace shudder with fright. She reached over and flipped on the light switch.
There was a knock on the door. Such a moderate sound that Grace was almost unafraid. Grace slowly rose up from the couch, letting her blanket drop to the ground. She peeked into the window a little ways off from the door. Grace quickly spun around and pressed her back against the wall. The person knocking on her door, was no person. Like the first character on House on Haunted Hill, it was a monster. It’s features, (should’ve been described as, freakures) were definitely beyond the normality.
Then.
The doorknob turned ever so slightly. In a flash, Grace bolted up the stairs and locked herself in a closet. She tried to calm herself, what could she do? Her parents weren’t home, and her older siblings were at a football game. Grace was all alone.
The floor creaked as someone moved across it. Grace now knew for certain that the monster was inside her house. She pressed her ear against the door to listen for sounds, and heard nothing. All of the sudden, the door whipped open. Lightning flashed, and there standing in front of Grace was the monster. The monster was holding a black case, safely tucked under his arm. Grace opened her mouth to scream, but the monster put his hand over her mouth.
“Shhh,” the monster said. “Let me explain.” Grace allowed herself to be helped up from her hiding place. The monster looked around the room, which happened to be Grace’s dad’s office. The monster sat in the rolling chair and reclined back.
“Listen,” the monster said. “This wasn’t supposed to happen.” Grace was confused.
“What are you talking about?” Grace asked. “There’s nothing wrong here.”
“Or so you think,” the monster said. “Look, I’d better start from the beginning.” Grace sat on the edge of the desk, not trusting this monster, but still curious enough to wonder what he had in store for her.
“Thirteen years ago,” the monster said. “Your government created a serum that would enable greater human thinking.”
Grace opened her mouth to say something, but the creature shushed her.
“A city volunteered to be the experiment,” the monster continued. “And essentially became our country’s guinea pigs. It worked out great!”
“Which city?” Grace asked, though with a chill, she was sure what the monster would say.
“Then it mutated,” the monster said without answering her question. “I’ve come to fix it.” He opened his black case, revealing a large needle filled with a clear liquid.
“I need you to be the first experimentee,” the monster said.
“What is that?” Grace whispered. The monster slid his finger along the needle.
“This,” the monster said. “Is the serum that will fix your mind and state.”
“NO!” Grace said. She rushed to the door, but the monster held her back.
“Hold still,” the monster said. Grace whimpered.
“Don’t make me like you,” Grace pleaded. The monster sighed.
“Don’t worry, sweetheart,” the monster said. “I’ll be in and out, no one will know what happened. And you won’t know what happened.”
Grace relaxed and gave into the pressure. The monster’s voice was soothing, making her want to sleep.
The last words that came from Grace were,
“I don’t want to be a human.”

In eighth grade, we were all required to write suspense stories. After I wrote my suspense story for the class, I realized I liked writing the short stories. I started writing more, and when I thought of the idea for this, I decided to write a short story on my own time.