The Voice | Teen Ink

The Voice

The Voice

One day Daniel was getting out of school and on his way home he was listening to music on his phone. He was about a block from his house when he heard a voice in the song that wasn't the singers. Daniel just thought it was a part of the song he had never heard before and ignored it. Later that night Daniel was listening to music on his phone while doing homework and again he heard the same voice say “Hello can anyone hear me”? Daniel ignored it at first but again he heard the voice this time louder saying “please if you can hear me I need help”. This time, confused, daniel answered back saying “hello”. The voice in his headphones answered back with ¨finally someone can hear me, i need help¨. Daniel answered back saying ¨help, Who are you and how are you talking to me through my music”? The voice told daniel that his name was john and he had been trapped for years. Daniel asked what john meant by trapped. John said he had been trapped for years and throughout all the years daniel was the only one who has ever answered back. Daniel pulled his earbuds out of his ears and finished his homework without music. The next day at school daniel was still freaked out from the voice he had heard last night. He told his friends about the voice he heard, but they just laughed and thought he was joking. That day, after school, on his way home daniel put in his earbuds and said “hello john, are you there”? He waited for an answer but didn't get one. He again said “hello, john, are you there or not”? It took a second but john answered back saying “yes i’m here”.
John asked what daniels name is and he told him. Daniel then asked john again what he meant when he said he has been trapped for years. John answered back saying “when i was 14 i was walking home from school one day when all of a sudden a bag was thrown over my head and i felt a needle prick me in the neck, next thing i know i wake up and it’s complete darkness, all that i’ve figured out through the years that i’ve been trapped is that i can supposedly jump from one person's phone to the next and i can hear anything they do on there phone, for years i’ve been trying to get someone's attention by hollering and screaming, like i said the other day you're the only person who has ever said something back”. Daniel asked how old john is now. John answered saying idk but throughout these years i don't feel like i have aged a bit. Then daniel asked john if he had any ideas on who could have put him in the phone. All he knew is that there were three guys, two that held him and put the bag on his head, and the third guy who injected the needle into his neck. Daniel was very confused at this point. He didn't know what to think. He didn't know if all of this was real or if he was just imagining it all. John and Daniel went on talking the rest of the way home but when Daniel got home he decided to say bye to john and go out with his friends that night. When he got home he was to tired to talk to john, so he just headed off to bed. When he woke up the next morning the first thing he did was grab his phone to see if john was still there. He put his earbuds in and said hello john, are you still there. John answered saying “yes i am still here”. Daniel asked if he had any more clues or ideas about who could have put him in the phone. John said he still had no clues to help him figure it out. Daniel sat on his bed and started contemplating who the mysterious guys could have been. Daniel and john continued to talk until daniel's dad Richard walked into his room and asked daniel who he was talking to. Daniel said he was talking to one of his friends from school about homework. His dad came and sat on the bed next to him and started small talk about his work and how daniel was doing in school. After his dad left john asked about daniel's dad and daniel said that him and his dad never had a really strong bond. John said him and his dad never had a strong bond either. They both apologized to each other and continued talking about how they could figure out who the mystery guys were. It was about 2:30 AM when daniel woke up to a noise he had heard downstairs. He was really exhausted but he still went to investigate the noise. When daniel got downstairs he saw that his front door was wide open. After he went and closed it he heard another noise in the kitchen. Yet again daniel went to investigate. Once he entered the kitchen he saw that there was no one in there. Although he did realize a couple of items out of place he didn’t really see anything wrong. Daniel went back up to his room to go to bed but when he got up to his room his door was closed. Daniel never remembered closing his door when he went downstairs. He was kinda on edge about opening his door now but nevertheless he went ahead and opened it. When he did he saw that everything was trashed. His draws were flung open with everything scattered everywhere. His bed sheets were all messed up and his closet was open with all of his clothes threw on the floor. He also saw that his window was wide open. Daniel started to freak out but then he realized even tho the intruder searched all of his room top to bottom nothing was missing. Daniel went straight to his phone, which with no surprise had also been searched through. He found his earbuds in the corner of his room plugged them into his phone and started telling john all about the intruders that scavenged his room. John told him that that was exactly the same thing that happened to him about a week before he got kidnapped. At this point daniel was terrified. Instead of panicking and freaking out he decided to just calm down and fix his room and go to sleep. He woke up the next morning and instead of talking to john he decided to just try and stop talking to him all together. So that day daniel left his phone at home and went through his day normally. English, band, world culture, math, science, and social studies. Daniel did this for about a week. During this week Daniels dad Richard was having a couple of visitors over every night and when Daniel would try to listen in on them he would get sent to his room. He thought it was weird that out of nowhere his dad would start having these visitors over. So daniel found a way to listen in on some of these conversations but all he could find out was the last names of the two guys. Ones last name was Singer and the other ones was House. Daniel knew that john would be mad at him since he hasn't spoken to him in about a week but he went to ask john if he knew who those guys were. So he picked up his phone put his earbuds in and said “hello, you there John?”it took a minute but john finally answered saying “oh look who finally has time to talk to me.” Daniel apologized and said “listen john my dad has been having these visitors over the past couple nights and they will go to the basement and talk for hours every night”. He asked john if he knew what could be going on. John asked if he had figured out anything they were talking about. Daniel said no but he did figure out there last names. One was Singer and one was House. That's when it got quiet. Daniel asked again (not for sure if john heard him the first time). It took john a couple of minutes but he finally said my last name is House. John said to daniel listen you have to go and find out what this guy's first name is or what he looks like or just something usefull. So daniel did as john asked and went to see what information he could dig up. About an hour later he got back to john saying that the guys first name was Randall and he looked to be about 50 years old. That's when John started to freak out. He started saying to Daniel oh my god daniel that's my father. Listen very closely daniel i need you to go and ask your dad why he is talking to my dad and ask him if he knows anything about me or what happened to me. Daniel said i will tomorrow it's too late tonight. So daniel head off to bed for the night. First thing he did the next morning was go to his dad and ask if they could talk in private. When daniel and his dad was in private he started to ask him about the two guys he had coming over the past couple days. Daniels dad said that it was none of his business and not to worry about it. That's when daniel asked about Randell. Richard looked at him and said how do u know his name. Daniel said he heard them talking to each other last night and heard them saying each other's names. Then Daniel asked Richard if Randell ever had a kid. Richard said he did have a kid, a son about 4 years ago but one day he disappeared and no one knows where he went or what happened to him.  Everyone says they saw him at school that day but he never came home. That's when daniel asked if the kid's name was john. That's when Richard came up to daniel put his hands on his shoulders and said how do you know the kids name Daniel? Tell me how you know his name. Daniel said “dad don't freak out but i've been talking to john through my phone”. Richard just sat down and said to himself “so he figured it out”. Daniel asked “who figured what out dad”. That's When Daniel's dad started to explain about his job he used to have 4 years ago. He said he used to be scientist who was studying on being able to put someone's mind into technology. They were about halfway through the studies when he realized that what he was studying was too dangerous to continue research on. His colleague did not agree with him tho. So when he decided to shut down research his colleague must have continued without him. He must have figured out how to do it and when he needed someone to test it on he must have decided to come after me and Randall. By doing so he must have decided to take john and use him to test all the research on. I'm not for sure if he still uses our old lab or if he got a new one but we can go find out. Daniel said “ok then let's go”. “We can't go right now we have to get Randall to go with us. We will get him later tonight and go then” said Richard. Ok sid daniel. Then Daniel went back up to his room got on his phone and started talking to John again. When he started talking john didn't answer. Daniel kept calling his name over and over but john never answered. Then all of a sudden John came on screaming and hollering to get away from him and leave him alone. Daniel got freaked out but asked John “who are you talking to, what's wrong”? John started talking way to fast saying soiwokeupandiwasinthisglasscompartmentfullof. Slow down cut in daniel. John took a deep breathe and restarted saying so i woke up and i was in this glass compartment full of water and there was some guy standing over top of me with wires in his hands saying hello John, how do you feel? That's when i freaked out and started screaming and hollering at the guy to let me out of the compartment. All the guy did was put the wires back on my head and next thing i know i come back here talking to you again. Daniel asked john if he saw anything else other than just the guy. He said no all he could see was the guy. Daniel said ok and told John about how John's dad and his dad and himself were gonna go and search there old lab to see if that's where he was later that night. John said ok. Later that night when John's dad was with Daniel and Richard they went to the old lab only to find that there was no cars parked outside. So they parked the car and went on inside. Inside is where they saw Richards colleague standing over a control panel fiddling with buttons and knobs. And then in the center of the room was a glass container with John in it.  Richard hollered out across the room at his colleague yelling “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS, THERE'S NO POINT IN IT”. His colleague hollered back “I'M JUST FINISHING WHAT YOU WEREN'T ABLE TO”. John looked back at Randall and Daniel and said “we need to stop him before he finishes. If we don't stop him in time John will be trapped in there forever…
8 years later…
John, Daniel, Richard, and Randall all sat at a booth at a bar drinking and talking about the boys college graduation they have tomorrow. Talking about what their jobs are going to be and what they have planned for their futures. John is going to be a writer and his first book is gonna be about him being trapped in the phone as a kid. Daniel is going to be a scientist studying technology and physics. John and Daniel have been friends ever since the day Daniel broke John out of the glass compartment 8 years ago, and even though john and daniel have been friends for years, they still have many years of friendship ahead.