Power: Part 1 | Teen Ink

Power: Part 1

By JoseCasillas BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
JoseCasillas BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

Amber leaves fall down to the floor as the wind blows them gently off the tree. The movement of each leave puts Otis into a trance. “Otis thank you so much for helping today. I don't know what we could do without you.”
“It’s fine Ms. Morn, is there anything you want me to do?”

“Yes I need you to feed the old man in room 101 and then kill the rats in the traps.”

“Oh Ms. Morn I can’t kill the rats, I don’t believe in killing anything.”

“Otis you truly are a Son of God.”

As Otis walks to room 101 he starts to get a huge headache. Otis tries to ignore it but the room starts to get dark and then nothing.

Otis wakes up in his bed, not knowing what happened, he gets up to go to school. Otis doesn’t live far from school. The only problem was that his school is in the forest. As otis walks through the forest his mother calls, “OTIS, OTIS ARE YOU OKAY HONEY?”

“Mom yeah i’m fine what happened?”

“Oh thank God you’re fine, it’s just that your father didn't show up last night, Otis your father is miss------”
The call turns into static. Otis...Otis....come to me Otis…. Otis’s heart starts pounding faster, as he turns to look if someone is there, he glances at a dark rugged figure with dark red eyes staring back at him. Otis immediately runs away, he ran faster than he has ever ran before in his life. Suddenly a cold large hand grabs Otis by the arm and pulls him back. 

“Otis what the f*** are you doing, you look like you just saw a ghost?”
“ Grayson, Grayson is it you?”

“ Yes i'm literally right in front of you Otis.”

“Oh thank god, I swear to God that there was something or someone in the forest with red eyes looking at me and calling be my name. Grayson it knows my name, what does it wa…?

“Chill out, you’re sounding like my mom after a glass of wine, just shut up and let’s go to class.”

Otis starts walking to class but can’t shake the feeling that he is being watched.  “ Can anyone tell me why people believe in God and Lucifer?... anyone… no okay, I think that people believe in God and the Devil because they need someone to blame . People can’t, excuse me for my language, people can’t f***ing take responsibility for the s*** that they do. I did it because of my religion or the devil made me. Bullshit, it’s just another excuse that people use for their own benefit, and it’s so dumb, so that is why I need an essay from everyone explain the pros and cons of religion.You all have 30 minuites, Start.”  Otis stares into the blank white paper not knowing what to write, when he suddenly gets an idea. Otis starts writing and writing. The bell rings and Otis gets confused  for the class barely started but he isn't complaining. As Otis walks out of class he hears his name being called. “Otis please don’t leave just yet, why did you write on your desk?”

“What I didn’t write on my desk”

“Really then why do you have the word Hex all over it” Otis looks at the desk to see that the word Hex is written all over the desk?”

“You have a 3-day detention, now leave.”

Otis leaves pissed because he knows he didn’t do it. But who did? As Otis makes his way to the Gym he hears his name called again. This time cold and raspy. Otis...Otis...Turn around, Otis… Otis starts running to the gym. He rushes through the door and takes a breather. As he opens up his eyes he notices that he is not at school anymore. He is in the middle of the forest. The dark rugged figure stares at Otis from the distances. Otis turns around only to see this tall, light skinned man.

“Hello Otis,pleasure to make your acquaintances.” Otis heart starts beating faster and faster by the second. “Otis don’t be afraid you’re not in any danger. I just want to talk to you.  You see Otis were I come from there is nothing extravagant there, but if i’m being honest here, there is nothing extravagant here as well. But you Otis.... you remind me of myself. A strong, persuasive and dangerous young man.  You know how to f*** with people's mind, you know how to get what you want. All you are missing is a purpose. So let me ask you Otis, What do you desire the most?” Otis couldn’t resist the urge to tell this mysterious man what he wants.

“I… I want power. I want people to respect me, to fear my name.”

“Well well, we are more alike than I thought. Well I can give you what I  want but for a price, This town is extremely special to me, but the filth that roams this town ruins it. So i’m gonna need you to murder 1 person. That person must be the person you love the most, your mother, your father, or a friend. You have 48 hours.”
Otis couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He knew he was not going to kill anyone but the thought gave him this warm feeling inside. Otis walked home not knowing exactly what happened or exactly who that man was. As Otis made his way inside his house, the house was dead silent except this low moan. “Mom?” Nothing. He walked up the stairs and the moaning grew louder and louder. He walked slowly to his mother room and slowly opened the door. Elizabeth was having sex with Otis’s history teacher.

“Mom what are you doing?!”

“Otis this is not what it looks like.”

“Really mom then what are you doing? Because to me it looks like you’re f***ing someone that is not my dad!”
Otis couldn’t believe what he saw. The anger took control of him. Otis runs to the kitchen and grabs a knife. The knife has never felt better in his hands.

“Otis look at me, I can explain.”

Otis clenched the knife and in one movement he turn around and cut his mother's throat. Blood oozed all over Otis. Otis felt nothing. No emotion. He walked to his mother’s room and waited for Mr. rosa to come out of the room. The moment Mr. Rosa came out, Otis stabbed him. Otis never felt better.

People laughing, people talking all just the same noise to Otis. He has lost all his emotion, his passion, and his curiosity.  As Otis walks the mysterious man is waiting for him at the entrance. “Hello Otis, I can see that you changed, that's good but there is a problem.  All the emotions that you lost,  you didn’t lose love. You never truly loved your mom didn't you?”

“No I never loved her, I don't love anyone.”

“ AH but that is where you’re wrong. You do love someone but you’re just afraid to understand it. So you’re not done with the killing, and time is running out.” 

“I don’t have time for this bullshit, so if you don’t mind me i have to go kill someone”

“Don’t need to, I want you to kill the guy behind you” Otis turn around and his heart drops. For he knows what he has to do now.