My Nightmare | Teen Ink

My Nightmare

November 30, 2016
By KenzieG BRONZE, Clear Lake, Wisconsin
KenzieG BRONZE, Clear Lake, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do I dare open my eyes? This is the only thing running through my mind. There is somebody outside my window. I can hear their slow, and steady breathing. It sounds like a small gust of wind on a calm, quiet evening. I sense their eyes roaming around my room, and landing on me. I am so shaken by the thought of someone outside of my window, that I cannot move. I’m afraid that if I move at all, they will end up crashing through my window, and try and kidnap me. That is not an option for me. I love my family; I could never ever think of being apart from them.
I snap out of my thoughts, as I hear the dry leaves crunching underneath a heavy object. Being the curious person I am, I gradually get up from my bed and walk to my bedroom door. Sadly, I have to walk right past the window, to get to my door. As I ease my way out my door, I hear some clanging of pots and pans. I glance at the time, 12:34. I am guessing Mom is up, since she has been having a hard time sleeping lately.
Assuming it was my mom, I go into my living room so I could watch Netflix. It was Thursday night, and I have nothing better to do, since I can’t sleep.  I turn on my lovely, large, flat screen TV, and click on the Netflix icon. It takes a little while to load, so I go and make a Panda Express Egg Roll. As I press the cold button of start, I notice that Netflix has loaded. I picked my profile, starting to watch Vampire Diaries. There is only 30 seconds left on my egg roll, so I go back into my tiny kitchen to wait for the hot, delicious egg roll to come out of the microwave.
As I am standing, and waiting for my roll to get done, when I sense someone watching me. I brush it off, it’s probably nothing anyways. Although, I do make a mental note to check every to make sure nothing is out of place. “Beep, beep, beep.” I jump out of my thoughts, and grab the steaming hot egg roll out of the microwave. The plate is burning hot, as if it is on fire. Since I usually have sweet and sour sauce with my egg rolls, I go into the, oh so cold, freezer. Grabbing out the sauce that is in the box of rolls. That is when I feel it.
I feel that uneasiness of a person watching someone else. I spin around on my heels as quickly as I can, and there they stood. Watching me, as a predator watches its prey. I am about to open my mouth to scream, but within a blink of an eye they are in front of me. I can sense their cold, hard stare on my face. It’s like my face is frozen over with ice, and I am unable to move my face. Slowly, I feel the eyes start to wonder up, down, left and right, until they land back on my face. With caution, I calmly bring my eyes up to theirs.
There are so many emotions in his eyes, it is unbelievable. There is love, hate, guilt, sadness, and many others. Something is making my eyes wander a little though. The scar that is on their right cheek, it looks just like the little scar I have on my left cheek, only his is longer and wider. It looks as if a cat had gotten to his face, and badly. It is still red, and is starting to turn black and blue. What really was catching me off guard thought, was that this scar and he looked familiar.
“What are you looking at?”
His voice was so calm and full of power.
“No… Nothing.”
He chuckles, “You don’t have to lie to me, I won’t hurt you.”
Wait, he’s not here to hurt me? Or to take me away from my family? He sees that I am in a deep conversation with myself. He casually takes his hand and lifts up my chin so I am looking into his eyes.
With this, I see that he has these capturing blue eyes, ones that look like the calming ocean. I take in his other features as well; He has dark brown, longer hair that comes down to about the middle of his forehead, his height is about 6 foot, with a nice tan colored skin, like the sun had just kissed it. He is also very built and has broad shoulders. 
I snap out of my thoughts when I feel this tingling sensation through my forearm. I look down to see that he is rubbing his hands up and down in a soothing motion.
Quietly I ask, “Why aren’t you here to hurt me? You’re here to kidnap me aren’t you?”
He lets out a roaring laugh.
“Of course not. I am here to make sure you are okay and to talk with you. I go to school with you, and I am very fond of how you run your life. You make it interesting to watch, and I want to help you.”
I don’t understand this at all. Why would he be here if we have school tomorrow? Why come into my house and make it seem like he is going to kidnap me if he is here to talk to me? He could easily wait until school tomorrow, considering its 12:38. I have so many questions running through my mind, and he seems to notice.
“You know you can ask me anything on your mind, right Elena?”
My eyes widen in surprise, “How…How do you know my name?”
He strides over to my leather couch, and plops down, making himself at home, then answers my simple question.
“Well since I “watch over” you, I need to know you. What you do with your free time, who you hang out with at school. I even have figured out some of your deepest secrets.” He takes a long pause to gaze around the living room. “Don’t worry, I won’t share them with anyone, I will take them to the grave with me. Plus, going to the same school as you, makes it easy to find out information about you.”
I stare at him, astonished. So that is where I have seen him, at school. How could he find out all of this stuff? I don’t have friends, as he has been saying. Why does he care this much about what I do? Who I hang out with, if anyone? Those secrets though, I haven’t told anyone. My whole life, I have been keeping those secrets a secret.
“Elena, I have to go: your mother is coming downstairs. I do mean what I said Elena, that I am always here for you. No matter what is happening, or if I’m busy or anything. You will always come first. I want to be that best friend figure for you. I know you don’t have many friends that help you through the tough times, and I want to be that friend Elena. I hope you understand that.”
He dashes out of the white patio door that we have in our basement. There are so many questions that I have for him, running through my head right now. I don’t realize that my mother is calling my name.
“Elena…Elena can you please answer me!” she screams in an irritated voice.
She walks right into my room, considering that my room is the only other place they usually find me if I am not upstairs. She soon realizes that I am out in the living room. In a split second, she is right in front of me. I can feel her ice cold stare through my entire body. The stare that tells you that she is waiting for an answer.
“I’m sorry Mom, I was caught up thinking. I have had a lot on my mind the past couple of days.” She gives me a disappointed expression.
“Well I expect you to get some sleep, it is almost 12:45.” and marches back upstairs.
Pacing, that’s all I can do to keep my actions at a minimum. There are many things that I should have asked him. Why he cares so much to talk me? Does he even care at all? Was he set up to “watch over” me, kind of like he was forced to? Except, that is where my thoughts end. BANG, BANG, BANG. The sound of a gun going off.  That’s all I needed to hear to make me sprint up those 14 steps.
Once I got to the top, I find my mom, stepdad, and baby brother laying lifeless on the floor. Pools of blood surrounding each of them. I start to shake uncontrollably in shock. But, there is a faint sound of the rolling of wheels on a frame near me. I realize that the person who killed my family is still in my house.
The only sliding door that we have in this house, is the wooden pocket door off of the laundry room into the hall way. I inch toward the door, waiting for someone to come out. You know that feeling where you feel someone is behind you, and is watching you? Well that’s how I feel right now. So, I hesitantly turn around, and I am outraged by who I see standing there.
It is the guy, the one that goes to school with me. The one who says he is going to be there for me through anything and everything. The one who promised he wasn’t going to hurt me. Well here he is, standing in front of me with a silver pistol in his hand. I sense the rage and shock start to seep its way out.
“Do you have any heart at all? To come in here, and murder my family? The only people I truly care about! How could you? You lied to me! How could you lie to someone like me? Lie to someone that was already needing help, and you take the only people that could help me!” I scream so loud, that he is on his knees and holding on tightly to his ears.
After I am done screaming at him, he gets to his feet, and smirks at me. He has this glint of happiness in his eyes, and explains why.
“Elena, you really have no idea about anything, do you? Do you not realize that no one wants to help you? No one wants to help someone that is broken. Someone that would take so long to get back to normal again is not worth the time to anyone. Nobody cares about you Elena, deal with it.”
I can’t take it anymore, so I lunged at him. With all my weight crashing into his steel hard frame, he does not move much. I am pushed down, and landing with full force on my knee. Struggling to get back up while holding my knee, but that didn’t matter to him. He lifts me up by the collar of my camo, Cabela’s sweatshirt. He has a hard time because I am thrashing around in his arms, and throws me across the room.  I crash into the giant window that we have in our living room, shattering all the glass. My head is pounding, and I am seeing black dots everywhere. I sit there holding my head, and he stalks toward me with the gun aiming at my forehead.
Right now, my life is replaying in my head. The first day I started school, the day I took the training wheels off of my bike for the first time. The day that my mom and stepdad got married, and the day that my baby brother was brought into this world by my mom. I was on the brink of death and all I could think about was how I wish I would have appreciated my life more than what I have. I look into my killer’s eyes; all I see is happiness. The joy of killing someone that meant nothing to him in the first place. It did not take him long to pull the trigger, because the next thing I know, all I see is black.
I wake up screaming at the top of my lungs. My mother comes racing into my bedroom with a frantic look on her face.
“Elena it’s okay, I am right here. Everything is okay.”
My mother is holding me, and rocking me back and forth. That might seem like a little kid thing, to have your mother hold you after a nightmare, but it’s something that I learn to appreciate. I am learning to appreciate the little things, because one day, I won’t have her here to hold me anymore. After I get all calmed down, and mom leaves my room, I think about my family.  About how much they care about me, and I them. I think about how I need to appreciate them more, because one day, they will not be here for me.
“Elena, I hope you are getting ready for school!” Mom yells from the top of the stairs.
I jump out of bed, and race to get ready for school.