Through the Silken Curtains | Teen Ink

Through the Silken Curtains

The first time I saw her, she was peeking through the window from behind drawn curtains. She watched me as the real estate agent showed me inside the neighboring house. The next time I saw her was on the day I moved in.
The first night I was at my new home, just before dinner there came a knock at the door. I left my post in the kitchen and walked to the foyer, I looked through the peephole to see a familiar face. I opened the door and stepped outside.
"Hi," I said trying to be friendly "You live next door right? I think I saw you when I first looked at the house."
"Yes, I remember," she said with a forced looking smile. "Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you're a religious person. Do you believe in the Lord?" She looked at me with concern.
"Um...yeah," I told her, I was religious but not very.
Her face light up, "Great! I want to see you in church this sunday, I'm a priestess, I practically run it!" she smiled again, this time less forced and more creepy.
"Okay then," I said wanting her te leave already "Well I've got the get back to dinner and-"
"Of course of course!" she said interrupting me, "Just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood," she laughed and smiled. She began to turn away, but then she whirled around and seized my wrist. She pulled me close and looked me dead in the eyes. “Lock your doors, Lock your windows, close the blinds, and don’t go out at night.” 
“Excuse me!?!” I said ripping my hand out of her grasp, there was red marks around my wrist and dents where her fingernails had dug into my skin.
“There’s a curfew,” she said flatly “No one outside after dark.” then she smiled, said goodbye, and walked back to her house as if nothing had happened. I stared after her in disbelief.

I was utterly confused, but I decided to follow her warning, just to be safe. I locked all my doors and windows and closed all the blinds. I wasn’t tired so I decided to watch some tv. I sat on the leather couch in my living room, surrounded by huge glass windows with the curtains drawn. I was half way through an episode of Merlin when I heard a knock on the window. I stood up and cautiously walked over. I tried to convince myself that it was the wind, or the first leaves of autumn falling against the glass, but I couldn’t shake the feeling it was something more than that. I reached out and took one of the silken curtains in my hand, ever so carefully, I lifted it a bit and peered out into the darkness. Nothing. I closed the curtain and headed back to the couch. As I was about to sit down, I caught a glimpse in the mirror- A tall, dark, jagged looking shadow stood, looming behind the closed drapes. I whirled around in horror to see nothing but a slight breeze, gently rocking the hanging fabrics. Not taking my eyes off the windows, I hurried up my spiral staircase down the hall, and into my bedroom. I spent the night huddled under my covers, reading from my mythology books, trying to find a silhouette that matched the haunting figure I’d seen through the light, silken curtains.