The Man in the Corner | Teen Ink

The Man in the Corner

By MalachiLisowski BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
MalachiLisowski BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

The Man in the Corner

My name is Steve and I have lived in Montana all my life and worked on a farm with my parents as long as I can remember. I was so excited when MSU (Montana State University) wanted me to play football for them. My Freshman year started out great right after I met my girlfriend Harper. I woke up early one morning excited about getting to go on my one week trip up to northern Montana. At my friends Jesse’s parents cabin. We had all been looking forward to this trip for many months. All twelve of us have become close friends over the first semester of college. Some of us are in class together, some of us play sports together, some from even the dorm. Yet we all get along great that’s why I think this is going to be an amazing trip.

Everyone and their stuff has been loaded in 3 vehicles and we are all heading up north west on highway 90 and are drive was only supposed to take 2 hours, but there was huge car accident and we were forced to take a detour on highway 55. We decided to stop to get a late breakfast at the Old Hotel in Twin Bridges MT. Then I read out loud “It says this place has been haunted for decades.” We were starving and I was so happy to eat and sit next to my girlfriend Harper. I felt like I was being watched, so I looked around the room and I saw a creepy looking man. When the waitress came back I asked her about the man sitting in the corner and she said don’t worry about him, he come in often. So we got back in the our cars and headed out, but I remember seeing the creepy man get back in his old pickup truck as we left town. There was only one and a half hours left on the drive so we were eager to get there. We sang show tunes, played games, I was a lot of fun! We pulled into the driveway which was just off a dirt road. As we took out our stuff and began to bring it in and I saw a familiar looking truck, but at the time I could not put my finger on why it looked so familiar.

We were eating burgers on the porch and I felt like I was being watched. I put it off to the side, because there would be no reason for anyone to be watching us. Everyone was going snowshoeing first thing tomorrow morning, so we all called it an early night and Harper and I decided to sleep in the basement, while everyone fought for the rooms on the main and second floor.

We were all fast asleep, and my eyes opened wide, I head a creek up stairs. Feeling  something was wrong, I told Harper to quietly hide. My heart was pounding so much so that it was going to pound out of my chest. My eyes barely able to see, I looked from something I could use for a weapon. At this very moment the basement door flew open and hit the other side of the wall. I saw a dark figure holding what seemed like an axe. It seemed as time almost slowed down to a standstill. I saw the figure, I saw Harper, I knew I was not ready to die. I flew through my memories of all the happy experiences, everything that I was grateful came clear to me that I did not want to die. Then the light turned on and it turned out to be my best friend joking around. I chased him all over the house, and when I finally caught him and Jack said ”Not today!”

...