Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children | Teen Ink

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

By ErikaParker BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
ErikaParker BRONZE, Midvale, Utah

As you continue reading, you will adore this book. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is a marvelous novel. Ransom always loves writing stories and making films when he was a little boy. Ransom attended college, studying English. Then he went to a different college in California to study film. His novel Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is his first best seller. Riggs hopes to continue writing these amazing novels and stories. Through the life of Jacob, a young boy, you will find yourself flying through obstacles and wondrous experiences while you read this novel.

Jacob goes through a horrific family tragedy. His grandfather, before he dies, leaves him clues to follow that leads him to an orphanage on Welsh Island. Jacob finds old photos of monsters like the ones his grandfather had talked about all his life. He finds out these monstrous children are real when he discovers one in the orphanage. He and his father get sucked back into 1940. To stay safe, Miss Peregrine has to create a time loop that makes them repeat the same day over and over. When the time comes, Jacob chooses to stay back in time with these children and Emma, the one he loves.

I enjoyed this book because I liked how Ransom Riggs wrote it. The way he uses the photographs and put them in the book was very creative. It is also very helpful because it gives me a visual as to what the children actually looked like. It also helps to make an image in your mind about why and how Jacob was affected by these monsters in the orphanage. Even without the images, there is still a very descriptive writing style. The only thing I did not like about this book is how it is very slow in the beginning. I almost stopped reading it because I got bored. But as you continue reading, you are sucked up in the novel and you cannot put the book down.

There is a lot of symbolism in this book. For example, a symbol that stood out to me was the island. It is kind of an isolated place and is covered in mystery. Jacob shows isolation and mystery at the beginning of the book when his grandfather had just died. For years, he had nightmares about his grandfather and the pictures he had shown Jacob. This also shows terror. Jacob would wake up screaming or crying. It took him years to calm down and stop. When he goes to the island, he knows that this is where his father grew up. He feels calm but also a little frightened because it is a very mysterious and unpredictable place.

This book was over all extraordinary. I hope many teens have the opportunity to read it and to give reviews and feedback.