Chair. | Teen Ink

Chair.

By damionbucenec BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
damionbucenec BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado

Earl was in his cozy living room. The heat was up to his perfect setting 65, and he was relaxed. He was in his favorite chair. He was fully reclined in the chair. Earl sunk deep into the chair. He was so comfortable. Music played in the background. His favorite jazz tape from the 60’s. Earl was a simple man. All it took to make him happy was his chair. Some music was always nice but it was not necessary. He sunk deeper into his chair. The microfiber wrapped around his body. He was so comfortable. Nothing could make him get up. The doorbell rang but he didn't get up to see who was there. Then, a knock on the door but he still didn't budge. The man at the door left. Earl sunk deeper into his chair. Half an hour went by. The doorbell rings again. The man at the door rings the doorbell again. He rings it 5 times. Then he bangs on the door. Earl doesn't care and just keeps relaxing in his chair. There was a lot of noise outside. Shouting and banging noises all around the house. Earl didn't know what it was but he wasn't too worried. He figured there was a party at a neighbor's house or something. It did not bother him. Earl just kept laying there.
The noise suddenly stopped. Earl sat up and looked at the door. It was open. He was so confused because he didn't hear anyone inside of his house. “Who goes there” Earl shouted. No response. Earl was frightened because he thought someone broke into his house.  He shouted “hello.” There was no noise in his house. So earl got up and closed the door. He went back to his chair and laid down.
Earl fell asleep right away. He drifted into a dream. The dream was not nice at all. A man in all black. was chasing Earl with a knife. The man chasing him was saying “get over here” over and over. Earl  was so scared but his legs were brittle so he fell on the ground. The man chasing him jumped above Earl and tried to stab him but just before he did Earl woke up.
He woke up to banging on his door. It was very strange to him. Nobody ever comes to see him so all of this banging was frightening. Earl crept out of his chair. Hus body was shaking. He talked over to the door and looked out the peephole. Nobody was there. This made Earl even more confused. He opened the door. There was no package so it couldn't have been the mailman. There was nobody. Earl  slammed the door shut and locked it. Then when he turned around, his back door was open. He was so scared. Then he looked to his left and the chair had disappeared. He ran to his backdoor and looked outside. He didn't see anyone so he was confused. He didn't know how someone could move a big chair so fast and quietly.
He looked to make sure he had everything else and that nothing else was missing. Everything he owned was in its place. Earl was mad. He thought he was going to have a great day off. But at the same time he was scared because someone had come into his house and taken his chair. “Why would someone do this?” He said to himself. Then Earl saw a man standing in his hallway in all  black holding a knife covered in blood. It was the man from his dream.. Earl fainted and had a heart attack and died…..
The next week, Earls children came to his house to gather his belongings. They were cleaning everything up and getting ready to move all of his things into a moving truck. They realized that his favorite chair was missing. They didn't know why because he loved that chair. Suddenly the doorbell rang. Earls daughter went to check who was there. She opened the door but there was nobody. Earls chair was sitting on the doorstep.

A piece i wrote for my 11th grade LA class.