Wedding | Teen Ink

Wedding

By cynthia.torres BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas
cynthia.torres BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

“Are you ready, Gwen?” asked my dad. I look at him and I saw tears starting to form in his eyes. I looked down at my dress and took a deep breath, then put my arm around his and nodded to indicate I was in fact ready.
I never thought this moment would come. I heard the hushed whispers of all the guests from the lobby of the church. Right now, when the doors open, everyone will turn to look at me. I will be the center of attention, and although it terrifies me I also have to admit I am the happiest I have ever been. I hear the traditional song, and try to remember what we had rehearsed. It couldn’t be that hard, right? I mean, I was just walking down an aisle.
The doors open, and the light coming from the windows hits my face. Time seems to stop, and the sun must be extremely bright because I can’t make out anyone’s face. I hear the note change, and begin to take a couple of steps forward, with my father by my side. I grip onto his arm because to be completely honest, I feel like I may fall if I let go.
I look to the end of the aisle and I see the light of my eyes, the love of my life, my reason to live. I look straight ahead and I meet eyes with my handsome groom, Andres. He looks amazing in his tux, and I can only imagine how nervous he must be. In just a few more minutes, I’ll be there next to him at the altar, and then we’ll be Mr. and Mrs. Cruz. Who would’ve thought we would end up together?
This feels like it’s the longest and hardest walk I’ve ever taken. With every step I wish I could just hurry up and be at the altar. Don’t get me wrong, I want to delve in this happy moment, but I also don’t want to be stuck here forever. I look to my right to see if I can see my best friend, Vivianne, seated in the pews, but everyone’s face looked blurry. That’s odd. I had never felt this way before. I look to my dad and I see that he seems to fade away. I try tightening my grip around his arm, but before I can realize it, I’m holding onto the air around me.
“What’s happening?!”
I scream but no one seems to hear my plead. I run to the altar, and just before I am about to make it, everything goes black. Darkness engulfs me, and right now time doesn’t exist. I don’t know how much time passes by, or if time passes by at all.
I see light again, and suddenly I am back inside the church. I look down at my hands, and I am no longer wearing my white gown or my beautiful veil. I look around and I see that everyone is looking towards the doors of the church. A sensation of déjà vu comes in waves as I hear the traditional song that had been playing moments earlier as I walked down the aisle. Curiosity gets the best of me, and I look to the doors just in time to see a girl in a beautiful gown enter the church. She is stunning, and her bright aura shines on everyone as she walks down the aisle. I was so busy admiring her beauty that I didn’t pay attention to the groom. I meet eyes with the groom and see the light of my eyes, the love of my life, my reason to live. He is looking at this girl as if she were the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. This is wrong! I can’t let him marry someone else.
I need to stop this! I can’t just watch as the man I love marries someone else. I start to push my way to the aisle, when I hear a loud alarm start to ring. No one else seems to hear it, for they continue looking at the beautiful bride. I continue to make my way towards the aisle, but every step seems to become harder and harder to take. Everything slowly becomes dark and I feel hands all over my body pulling me away from Andres and the mystery girl. I scream, and it blends with the alarm, which seems to bounce off the walls and become louder with every passing moment. Darkness engulfs me once more…
And I wake with a jolt. I look at my nightstand and catch my phone right before it falls off. I look at the bright screen and see “WAKE UP TODAY IS ANDRES’S AND VIVIANNE’S WEDDING”. Great. I guess my dad wasn’t lying when he said, “Dreams do come true.”