The Party | Teen Ink

The Party

October 11, 2016
By Anonymous

The bird fly over the immense city, trying to find a place to rest and hide from the burning sunlight, and with no wind the grass stood still. Hannah  was already without patience, one more hour and she would finally be able to go home from work and take the cold shower that she was dreaming about it all day. Drops of sweat on her neck, the sound of the clock ticking but it seems like the time was frozen, the sound of the birds outside, everything was making her more and more angry.
In Hannah thoughts, she was blaming her dad for everything, he told her that she needed to “ learn about responsibility’ and that work in a flower shop would be “fun’. But now she was sitting, alone, surrounded by differents smells of flower, looking to the ceiling. She started texting her best friend Briana, they are friend since they were 10 years old, when Hannah moved to the house next to Briana. Like always, Briana made Hannah smile again, she told Hannah that on Friday( the next day), Briana friend would throw a pool party.
After that everything passed fast, Hannah was ready to go home, she was a hurricane, throwing everything inside her bag. When she got home the first thing she did take a shower and rushed to call Briana. In front of the computer she showed to her friend each piece of clothing she had, and when they were almost giving up, she found the black and white dress that she used to wear every day when her mom gave to her, her mom used to always say that ‘the dress is almost walking alone’. After the car accident, in which her mother died and left Hannah intact, she could not wear that dress, but Briana had good points and she would not rest until Hannah said yes. Hannah was organizing her room when she heard her grandma cars in the garage, she ran like a lion, ready to complain about the job, but she forgot everything when she saw what her grandma was holding. Since young Hannah always wanted a dog but she was never responsible enough to have one. Her grandma said that the dog didn’t had a breed, she went to the dog shelter and when she saw that one, she saw a little bit of Hannah on him. Hannah didn’t care about any of that, she just ran to hold him, but the dog smelled like a trash can, all she did for the rest of the night was take care of the dog.
The day passed quickly, every 5 minutes she would make her dad send pictures of the dog that she named Jess because of her love for the tv show Gilmore Girls, and she made Briana check on him 3 times, because she thought that her father would forget to feed Jess. It was the day of the party so when the clock shouted that was 5 p.m. she rushed to Briana’s house where they would get ready together. The party would start at 7p.m. but it was already 8 and they were not ready, Briana end up driving while Hannah was finish her makeup on the back seat. When they finally got there everyone was already inside the pool. Elizabeth, Briana’s friend wanted to show everything for them, since it was the first time Hannah was there. Everything was glamorous, everything was white, with black furniture contrasting everything, the house is Elizabeth. Elizabeth had a black straight hair, and black eyes that could steal your soul.  They went back to the pool and Hannah could not find Briana anymore, that was something that always happens, so she didn’t cared about, she found some people and everything was ok, but Hannah could feel something would go wrong.
And what she thought became true, around 10p.m., Hannah’s ex boyfriend showed up, she tried to not care but it was impossible that after 3 weeks apart and he was already with another girl. She got out of the pool trying to find Briana, but there was so many people there, she tried to call but she had no answer, all she wanted was to leave that place without him seeing her, but Elizabeth wanted to take a group photo and she would not let Hannah be out of the photo, and after the flash she looked back and there he was, smiling to her.
Hannah found Briana at the living room and asked Briana to take her away, but the girl didn’t wanted. Briana told Hannah to go to the bedroom where she could be alone, and in some time they would go home. Hannah was mad, but she accepted, and on her way she could feel her ex boyfriend look at her. Hannah walked into the bedroom and suddenly she couldn’t keep her eyes opened, all the work she did drained her energy. After minutes she was asleep, in a house she had never been before, with people she did not know.
Like promised at midnight Briana started to say goodbye to everyone and gather her stuff but a scream like a fox coming from the bedrooms made Briana throw everything to the ground and run to see what happened. When she got to the bedroom her legs were like jello, on the bed, a body of a girl, with a knife on her back. Briana could recognize that dress from far, that body was her best friend. After that Briana can not remember anything, she woke up at the hospital with her family around her and 2 cops at the door. After minutes awake, the cops started to make questions, but all Briana could say was “Is she dead?”.
After 2 days all the journals was talking about Hannah, the girl that never came back. And all Briana could focus was on finding out who did that. After she left the hospital the first thing she did was to talk to the police, she told everything about Hannah’s ex boyfriend, and how she was mad at the party. Everything was leading to James -the ex-. The police never found prints at the knife, the only person on that party that didn’t like Hannah was James. He tried to defend himself but Briana made sure that every detective know about the reason James and Hannah broke up. One night, the 3 were at a party and James started to dance with a different girl, mad Hannah walked away from him, and asked Briana to take her home, but when James saw Hannah going inside the car, he pulled her and she felt on the ground, making a cut on her elbow, at the same time James got on his knees saying sorry and crying so much that was like a river, and Hannah end up forgiving him.
After Briana told the story, no one believed on James and with a week, the cops were almost sure he did it. Back on Hannah’s house everything was falling apart, her dad did not left his room since the funeral and the smell coming out of him was like death; her grandma was the one trying to hold everything, but she wasn’t strong enough, and after 4 days of Hannah’s death, her grandmother was taken to the hospital, for not eating. Hannah’s father could not see Jess-her dog-, so Briana decided to adopt him.
Briana was the one who took care of Hannah’s things, she organized everything inside boxes and at the end it was like an ocean of boxes, and she decided that was ok for her to get something, like the necklace James gave to Hannah on her birthday and Hannah’s favorite shirt. Carol- Hannah’s grandmother- found that was weird for the girl to get that things, but since they were friends since forever she didn’t said anything. Hannah’s father tried to go over her stuff but every time he would go into her bedroom was like the bedroom wanted to kill him. 
At her house, Briana dyed her blond, almost angelic hair, into a brown like Hannah’s hair, and put on Hannah’s favorite red lipstick. each day she was more and more similar to Hannah, everyone could notice that but no one said anything, they all thought that it was a way of Briana say goodbye to her friend. Back to Hannah’s house, Carol was organizing the house and like the pictures could walk, she found a photo of Hannah, James and Briana together, at first she was angry like the hulk, noticing that James wasn’t a good thing for her granddaughter, but after looking carefully at the photo, she notice the look Briana had over Hannah, it was almost like a jealous look, like when vulture see a dead animal, but again Carol thought she was picturing all that.
After 2 weeks, the journals stopped talking about Hannah, and each day Briana was looking more and more like Hannah, she started to dress like Hannah and ask for Carol if she could have all her clothes, saying that she wanted to feel close to Hannah again. Hannah’s dad was almost unrecognizable, he lost 5 pounds and was almost a week without showering, her death had consummate him, and seeing Briana so similar to Hannah just made him worst, Carol was worried about him, in the past, when his wife died, he tried to take his own life,  but Carol found him in time, and with therapy and having Hannah besides him, he got better, but now she was afraid that nothing could save him.
After some days Carol was finally strong enough to open Hannah death certificate, holding Briana’s hand she read word by word trying not to give up, while Briana was strong like a rock and kept her facial expression clean. carol did not understand how could she be so cold, and every day she was more and more suspicion about Briana. At night, Carol kept calling for Hannah’s dad, but no answer, she ran to his bedroom afraid of what she could find, with her hands shaking she opened the bedroom door, but no one was there. Nothing on the bathroom. Nothing on the living room. Carol was relieved but scared at the same time, where the man who did not left his room for 2 weeks could be? She rushed to Briana’s house to ask help, but at her garden the girl was laughing with the man.
She looked so much like Hannah, how was that possible, her way of talk, her movements, everything was similar to Hannah. Carol didn’t know what to do, she couldn’t talk with Erin- Hannah father-, because Carol notice that he was using Briana as way to remember about his daughter. But that wasn’t right, Briana was turning into Hannah, and Carol would not let that happen, no one would replace her beautiful granddaughter.
The next day Carol could not stop thinking that maybe James was innocent, and they got the wrong person. She called to some of Hannah’s friend and asked them if they had someone else in mind that could have done that to Hannah, every single friend said that they were sure James did it, but one boy said that Carol should look more into Briana, “Hannah was always the spotlight everywhere she went, it was normal to see Hannah and Briana fighting about Briana feeling left aside”
With that carol went to the police, she didn’t said anything to Eric, and after the call, carol started going over everything on Hannah’s bedroom, but Briana had already “organized” everything, the only thing she found was some pictures of Hannah smiling and Briana on the back not looking happy. At the police, the detectives found interesting Carol theory, because when Briana was interviewed she couldn’t tell where she was before they found the body and at the period of 11-12 p.m. no one saw her at the party. Every single piece started to come together, and carol couldn’t believe they were so naive to believe in her, after hours, they decided to reopen the investigation and they would look deeply on Briana.
Back at her house the first thing Carol see, is Briana being taken by the police. This time the detectives looked into the right places and after doing a search at Briana’s bedroom they found a notebook, with the plan and step by step how she should do it. Hannah was not tired when she went to the bedroom, Briana gave Hannah soda with medicine, when Hannah asked to Briana take her away. This way nothing could go wrong.