the boy that went away | Teen Ink

the boy that went away

By cierraj3 BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida
cierraj3 BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida

Bryan always loved to play with his Legos after school with Cody. He would come over every day just to build giant sculptures. Cody asked an odd question one day that seemed to stick with Bryan even after he left. That day was similar to one three years ago. Everyone was frantic and no one really seemed to calm down. “what is going on?” He softly thought in his head. It seemed like his head was going to explode knowing the same feeling he got years ago is happening again. “NO….” In deep thought he completely forgot about Cody being there and when he realized he asked him to go ahead and go home. Bryan thought out what happened three years ago quit often. More than any child should have to endure. “Dad can you pass the mashed potatoes?” “Did I hear you say please Bryan?” “Oh I’m so sorry” Bryan never wanted to displease his father. He was terrified to… His father glared at him and slammed his closed fist onto the table. With a chill down his spin he shivered with freight and softly said he was sorry again. His father sighed and said “alright kid I just had a bad day today, your mother doesn’t listen”. Bryan watches nervously and tries to hurry eating knowing he had to go to his room soon. He looks at his mom with fear and she mouths “Be strong I love you” He looks over at his father slightly just to see his fiery and dark clouded eyes staring down at his mother. Standing shakingly Bryan dismissed himself and went to his bedroom and locked the door. He came back to reality after realizing he dozed off after Cody left. Nervously he stood up and made sure all his Legos were away and the house was pristine.
When his father came home dinner was done and already cleaned up after besides his father’s plate, His homework was finished and laid out for his father to look at if he had any and he’s sitting there waiting. He hears the door unlock and nervously he thinks about his day and double checks himself. He seems to have everything right and he stands up cheerfully and greets his father. “Hey how was your day?” He hasn’t called him “dad” since the incident. Now Cody has always been envious of Bryan. He always thought he was unappreciative for what his dad does for him. He never would tell on his father though. He was red, Like a tomato. He looked as mad as a hornet that you accidently touched. He didn’t know what to say. He was terrified like that day his mother was murdered. When his father finished eating he cleaned up the mess and asked politely to go to bed. “why?” “I thought we’d spend some time together today” “No I’m okay thank you I’m really exhausted” He slightly laughs and stares at him so hard it was like looking through a ghost. His heart felt as if it would explode from the excessive stress. “This is why I felt so ill earlier” “I knew something was wrong” He kept thinking over and over again in his head. Bryan had always been the sweetest boy and knew how to cheer people up but if he’s upset it lingers. His father could sense he was scared and it intrigued him. He enjoyed the fright and the shaking. It’s almost like he was sick and demented. “YOU GOT AWAY WITH MURDER!” “You shouldn’t even be here!” He started for the back door only to find out it was locked and the key was hidden. Palms sweaty he runs up the stairs and slips a bit because he had no grasp. He locks himself in the room. Panting and screaming and scared the death that he was about to end up like his mother. He didn’t know why he said that. He knew damn well not to holler at his father especially about the murder. “WHERE DID YOU GO BRYAN?” he could hear him calling downstairs across the house.
“WHY DON’T YOU COME OUT AND PLAY WITH ME?” Bryan begins crying hysterically because his mother used to say it like that and his father knew it. His father was cold as ice and never cared for anyone but himself. Why would he want to kill me? I do everything for him. He started to hear a younger boys voice. “THAT’S CODY!!” “what if he hurts him??” “What do I do?” All these things were going through his head all at once and he was torn between himself. He decided to call the police. He told them to come immediately that his dad was trying to kill him and will possibly hurt his friend. They asked for the name and all Bryan had to do was say “Derek Brown” and they hauled ass over to the house. He decided once he heard the footsteps walk away he had time to run away and go to a neighbor’s house. He listened intently and waited patiently. He unlocked the door and slowly opened it. He couldn’t hear Cody’s voice anymore and became petrified that he was already gone. “What did he do to him?” He just kept thinking about the worst possible scenarios. He hears footsteps coming from behind him. He runs and hides in the closet next to him. “He heard me I’m going to die” He couldn’t think clearly, everything started to be a blur. He sat down on the ground ready for whatever is coming. His head and back was against the door. He jumped and put his head between his knees when he heard gunshots. He turned around as the door opened with a gun to his face only to be surprised. It wasn’t his father. It was Cody. He shot him in the head only after saying the same words he said that morning “I always wondered what it would feel like to murder someone” His dad was only trying to catch him and save him from Cody, Not harm him.

Lizzard said...
on Oct. 19 2016 at 7:48 am
Great story, Ci! Love how there was a twist, always a great way to end a story!!