Delilah | Teen Ink

Delilah

By RemiTravillian BRONZE, Dublin, California
RemiTravillian BRONZE, Dublin, California

When I was 8, mom told me to always be myself and don't let anyone change you.“Be You” is a saying that was really popular in our house, which explains why my little family is so different from each other. Mom is a strict, knowledgeable and independent kind of person and my little brother is more of an easygoing, down to earth kind of person. Me? I really don’t know what I am, or what I was. Even though we were all different, I felt like I didn’t really belong in this family. Constant nights of arguing with my mom over the same thing.  Foolish, Irresponsible, Obstinate, Careless. That’s what she calls me---and the next thing you know, I’m kicked out and I’m sleeping on my friend June’s old couch at her apartment. June understands what I’m going through, however she does agree with my mom that I need to grow up. But I'm 17 years old for crying out loud, I should be allowed to do whatever I want, whenever I want.
Here I am sulking on her couch with a bowl of French vanilla ice cream in my lap watching a marathon of Friends. At the corner of my eye, June was leaning against the wall, arms crossed staring at me blankly. I didn't bother asking why, and I guess she knew that I was ignoring her because she finally spoke up, “ Have you ever thought about your future?”.
Here we go again. Digging through my ice cream with my spoon, I managed to open my mouth but all that came out was a snort. “It's not funny Delilah, we’re almost adults, no one is going to baby you anymore. When was the last time you actually showed up to class? All you do is get high with those friends of yours and sleep all freaking day”, June grabs the bowl of ice cream from my lap.  “Get off my case, you sound just like my mom.” I muttered under my breath.
“Yeah, because your mom actually cares about you. She just wants what's best for you.” she sighs. Yeah, right. Or maybe she just wants me to not have a life, not letting me live and enjoying what's out there. Delilah! Why would you dye your hair red? You look ridiculous. Delilah! You're not getting your nose pierced and that's final! Delilah, that skirt is too short, find a different outfit. Delilah, you’re not going out until you finish that essay! Blah Blah Blah. And I thought June would understand.
“Worry about your own issues. I’m going out”, grabbing my jacket and hurrying out the door, making sure to slam it before she could say anything else.
The breeze hit me as I walked out, boy did that feel good. It was almost pitch black outside, perfect. A walk at night in the cold is exactly what I need right now. Jesus, I need a smoke. Luckily, the corner store was about 7 blocks away. “Excuse Me!” a voice called. I turned around only to be face  to face with an elderly young man shoving a towel right in my face. Everything turned black. 

Cold. Hungry. Dark. Weak. Can't move. Mouth dry. What's happening? Where am I? I noticed my surroundings. Small Room, Boxes everywhere, Dimmed Light , Handcuffs? Handcuffs. That's why I can't move. Handcuffs. A growling noise startled me, then I realized it was my stomach. Panicking, “June!”, I yelled. No response, and that's when I lost it. “June! Someone! Help Me!!” screaming at the top of my lungs. “Mom!”. Mom. I kicked the door screaming and screaming until the door swung open. There was the man, grey neat hair, piercing black eyes with bushy eyebrows. “Quiet! Shut Your Mouth!” he shouted. Ignoring his command, I let out a piercing scream hoping someone will hear me. I’m being kidnapped. The man grabs my neck, getting a good grip. I gasped grabbing on his arm fighting to get it off of me. “Didn't I told you to shut up?! You will not disobey me, scream again and I’ll kill you!”. Can't breathe. Let go. The man began to notice I was struggling to breathe. He let go, I gasped again trying to catch my breath. “Am--I b-b- being kidnapped?”. The man smirks, “Sure, …” his voiced trailed. I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe this is happening. I'm going to die.  “Get up, I made dinner”, he demanded. “My handcuffs sir…” my voice quivered. The man chuckled again. “Why would I take them off? You’re going to escape.” His voice was dark and cold. He led me out of the door, a tear began falling down my cheek. I'm crying. I’m actually crying. I miss June, I miss Edwin. I miss Mom….I miss Home. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do. I might never see them again.

The man’s home was small with and cozy, you wouldn't think he’d be a bad guy. There was a lot antiques and pictures of him and his family. I almost considered to ask him about them, but dropped it. The man fed me beef stew, it was surprisingly one of the best meals I’ve ever had in a long time. He took off the handcuffs so I would be able to eat making sure to watch me carefully in case I escape. We both began to eat in silence. No one is probably worried about me. June is probably glad I'm gone. Mom doesn't care. I have nobody.  “Sir? Why did you kidnapped me?” I asked breaking the silence. The man looks up, he stays quiet for a second. “Call me Richard..June”. He knows my name..how does he know my name?  “I've been watching you June”, he started. “ You need to be put in your place. You will be taken care of, if you follow my rules, you won't be punished. Starting with the most important rule of all. No escaping. You must obey me, do not touch my personal belongings without asking, and stay quiet. You're a loud one”. Punished. “What do you mean by punished?” I asked. “I will hurt you” he said in a low, dark tone. My heart starts being beating rapidly, this is my life now.  “It's time for bed, I will show you your room. Get up”. I followed him to a very small, dark room. There's a small bed with a pillow and a blanket. No closets, no window, no desk or drawers. Just a bed. “ I will wake you up at 7:00 in the morning”, his voice boomed. He slams the door, locking it. Just like that, I collapsed and cried until I fell asleep.
            This isn't a dream. Waking up, I felt weak, weaker than I felt last night. I managed to get up, the door was oddly unlocked. Tiptoeing down the hallway, loud snores echoed the house, it came from the third room. The door was unlocked, I nervously peeked my head through the peep hole. The man was asleep! Escape. Nows your time. No, he's going to hit you. Fight. Search for a weapon. A knife. No, just leave. I ran, making sure I didn't make any noise. The door was chained. Do something, do something. Window. In the Kitchen. Running for my life, I made my way to the kitchen. Thump Thump. My heart was beating out of my chest. I jumped on the counter, only to be pulled back from someone tugging my shirt. THUMP. My back hits the floor, I groaned in pain. Shutting my eyes tight. He caught me. I am done. “Tried to escape? What did I tell you?”. His voice sends cold chills through my spine. Don't give up. FIGHT.  The man grabs my arm, I quickly yanked it away and grabbed the large silver knife hanging on the side of the table. I pointed it towards him, nervous to see what he'll do next. His eyes darkened, and a small evil smile formed on his face. “Young child, you wouldn't…”. I stood back, wiping the sweat beads off my forehead. Do it. He's going to kill you if you don't.  As I pointed the knife to him again, he reaches for my neck trying to get the knife. NO. Can't breathe, aim at him, do it. I yanked my hand and plunged the knife into his stomach. Blood gushing everywhere.  “ARGHH” he cried out loud. His face scrunched in pain, dropping down while clutching his chest. Run. Run. Find the police. Window. I opened the window, quickly. The fresh air hit my face instantly, I jumped out running for my life. The street was unknown, I didn't know where to go. My phone was gone. Just get out of here.
It was early morning, the sun was barely up, find help. “Miss?”, a male voice called out.  Frozen. I turned around quickly to see a police officer. MIRACLE. “Sir! Please Help! I-I’ve been kidnapped. Richard!” I yelled out of breath. The Officer nodded like he knew something. “Yes, Yes, Richard
Sczher, a neighbor just called and found him dead in his home. She said she saw you jumping out of his window. Come with me”. He’s dead. I killed him. Come with me. He doesn't know, he doesn't understand. He thinks I'm a murderer. I backed away. A person grabs my hands and starts handcuffing me. I'm going to jail.
Sitting in a cold cell, have yet to heard from anyone. I can't believe this is happening. I'm a murderer. I actually killed him. I didn't mean to. It was self defense. Mom. I need her. “Miss McCoughtry” a police officer opens my cell. His pale face was filled with sympathy. What's happening. “Another police, this time a female puts his arm on the male officer’s shoulder. Also, with a disappointing look on her face. “Do you have any relation to Anne Reynolds?” Mom. “Y-yes. She's my mom”. I answered with hopeful eyes. She's coming. She's going to bail me out . “I'm sorry to tell you this, but your mother has been found dead, we don't have any more information at this point, but we will found out more as soon as possible. Again, we're sorry. As in for you, you're going to be sleeping here overnight. We’ll let you have a little break before the questions break out”.
She's dead.

The END.