The Girl in the Mirror | Teen Ink

The Girl in the Mirror

June 18, 2016
By pseudoloid BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon
pseudoloid BRONZE, Tigard, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The girl in the mirror never shutted up. Words, sharp as fresh knives, flowed out of her wicked mouth like the time when blood spilled after Jodie tripped, slamming her palms onto pavement. Jodie desperately tried to block out the hideous, chilling voice by covering her ears with her hands, but with no avail, the screeches filled the bathroom with morbid echoes.
Jodie was okay. In fact, she was great. She was always surrounded by a sea of friends, the kind that laughed at her nonsense jokes with big smiles and bright eyes, but also gently pat her on the back when needed. Along with great friends, Jodie also had a nice family and home. It wasn’t like they were rich or anything, but they’ve always had enough love and warmth to pass around at the dinner table. At school, teachers praised Jodie for her grades and loved her for her bright personality. Overall, Jody had a great and comfortable life, one that would easily make people envious. Well, at least that’s what it seemed like to other people.
“Leave me alone!” Jodie spat, raising her voice while her hands were clenched so hard that her knuckles turn ghostly white and her fingernails dug deep into her sweaty palms, creating crescent moons in her skin.
In reply to Jodie’s frustrated outburst, the girl in the mirror suddenly went deathly silent, and the bathroom became strangely empty without the constant wails filling it. For a second, Jodie thought that maybe -actually- she had finally gotten rid of the headache inducing sounds.  And then, slowly, the girl smiled, a glimpse of pity in her eyes. But the sympathy in her eyes quickly disappeared. The girl’s eyes were unholy black, as if she was an empty, heartless void. The sweet smile transformed into gut-wrenching grin, flashing sharp teeth that lined up perfectly.
“You’re pathetic. Did you think I would really listen to you? Or if anybody does? People just pretend to be sympathetic in order to be nice. Listen, buddy, you’re nothing but a waste of space that has a pulse,” the mirror said with an apathetic shrug.
This torment had been going for a week now and Jodie had made numerous, desperate attempts to abolish the girl in the mirror. She tried using a different bathroom in the house, but nonetheless, the wretched girl would be there waiting for her. Jodie attempted to not look at any of the bathroom mirrors at all, but she would see that thing in every little reflective object wherever she went. The demonic eyes followed and watched her every action. Even when she slept, there was no escape.
“You are useless.”
“Weak imbecile who cries about everything.”
“You're ugly and disgusting. Nobody wants you.”
“You’re only nice to others so you can selfishly feel better about yourself.”
“Stop pitying yourself.”
“Die.”
All these harsh whispers everywhere made Jodie want to tear her hair right out from the roots and gnash her teeth. The voice from the mirror rung out so obnoxiously that she couldn’t even hear herself think. It prevented her from getting any sleep whatsoever, creating dark, heavy bags under her eyes.
But today was the last straw. Jodie couldn’t take it anymore. This would be the day where she would end everything. End that girl in the mirror. Taking in sharp breaths, Jodie staggered out of the bathroom while holding onto the doorframe. Murmuring, “End this. End that. End her,” she headed towards the garage with blank eyes. Jodie begin to quicken her pace, not even pausing for a second to put on shoes, and frantically searched every corner of the garage.
“End this.”
“End that.”
“End her.”
Sweat soaking her forehead, wide eyes, Jodie made a gasp soft as breeze and smiled. She bended down with trembling hands to reach for a hammer lying on the cold, hard ground.
“End this.”
“End that.”
“End her.”
Jodie made her way back to the hellish bathroom, gripping the hammer so hard that it was as if she was holding on to her dear life. Standing in front of the mirror as if she was possessed, Jodie stood completely still and looked directly into the two dark circles carved into the girl’s face for the first time. Jodie closed her eyes slowly, and raised the hammer with both of her hands above her head. She had never felt so calm and in control in her whole life. With her back muscles tensed, she was ready to put her whole strength in this one hit.
And then she swung. A loud earth shattering noise erupted and mirror shards started to descend down to the ground, echoing the girl in the mirror’s sharp voice.
When Jodie finally opened her eyes, everything was silent and still. But nothing had change.
It was still her in the mirror.