Wrong Turn | Teen Ink

Wrong Turn

June 11, 2016
By AliBarlett SILVER, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
AliBarlett SILVER, Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Turn right…recalculating…turn left…recalc.” And just like that, the GPS’s battery died. “Nothing can be worse than this.” Cole thought. It was getting late and he was alone in his car in the middle of nowhere with no GPS or cell phone. Just his luck he thought. He was suppose to be visiting an old friend but but there was no point of doing that now since he’s been lost for the past two and a half hours. It was around midnight and the only thing surrounding the old, worn road that the GPS brought him to, was a cemetery. He could see headstones lined next to each other go on for miles. It was like he had entered an off civilization, empey, eerie ghost-town. Up ahead through the fog there was a light flickering on and off so he decided to drive up closer to it. When he got closer he saw that the light was coming from inside a small abandoned house. “Does anyone even live in there?” Cole wondered. If so, he desperately needed help with directions so decided to give it a try. Getting out of his car, he hesitantly walked up the creaky old wooden steps and knocked on the door. There was a brief moment where he felt a sudden chill and wondered if he should just go back to his car. The house was pretty damaged and he could see that some of the windows have been shattered. It reminded him of haunted houses in movies that he has seen. Coles mind began racing with thoughts; “If anyone was in the house, what sort of pyhsco lived there.” “Why would anyone want their house to be in the middle of nowhere right next to a creepy cemetery.   A few more minutes passed  and still no answer at the door. He turned around to walk to the car but before he could take a step the door swung open. The light that had been flickering went out leaving the room pitch black. “Hello??” asked Cole sheepishly, “Is anyone here?” But the house seemed empty. Or so he thought. Before thinking, he took a few steps inside and tried to find a light switch. The house smelled like rotting eggs and the air had a thickness to it that made Cole a little dizzy. As soon as he found a lightswitch the door shut fast and loud. “Who’s there!?” Cole demanded and quickly turned the light on. Bracing himself for who he might see at the door, Cole slowly turned around to look. But it wasn’t a “who” that was at the door. He wasn’t even sure what “it” was. A gigantic dark shadow emerged completely covering the front of the door. Then, in a blink of an eye, it was gone. Just like that. “Maybe it was just my imagination.” he thought. But Cole knew something was wrong. Something about this house didn’t feel right and he didn’t need to think twice about getting out of there. As Cole was running back to the door, he stopped. His face turned white as a ghost as his jaw dropped open with fear. There was something written on the door that wasn’t there before. And it was written in red goo that looked like blood. It read: “Once you enter, you join the others.” There was a picture of the cemetery from outside attached. He let out a silent scream then gathered his senses. “Oh we’ll see about that!” Cole said as he opened the door running into the foggy darkness to get to his car. “This was all a prank, everything will be fine once I get to my car, right?” he guessed. Wrong. He arrived to his car and his tires were slashed. The same red goo from the door was now oozing out of the tires. A strange noise was coming from inside the trunk. Cole looked over and it began shaking up and down until the trunk finally swung open. Dozen of bats stormed out of the trunk circling Cole then disappearing into the chill air. “This isn’t funny anymore!” Cole furiously yelled out. He turned around to run but tripped over something that definitely hadn’t been there before. It was a freshly dug grave with a brand new headstone. There was a photo taped to the top. Cole had had it. He was out of breath, dizzy and extremely tired. Catching his breath and blinking away the tears he slowly read the inscription. It read; Cole W Miller, December 2nd, 1992- (today’s date) October 9th, 2013. The picture taped to the top was of him. It took his breath away. Literally.