Catastrophe | Teen Ink

Catastrophe

By Buzzlive GOLD, New Delhi, Other
Buzzlive GOLD, New Delhi, Other

For nobody stand by you, when you need them. Everybody is there when they need you. You are clearly stronger than you think.

Bonjour Monsieurs et Mesdames ! Welcome to the finest, largest andgrandest museum of the world – Musée du Louvre ! We are here, respected Delegates of European Museums, in Paris to commemorate the highly anticipated 225th  anniversary of the celebrated La Jaconde or widely known as Mona Lisa to the world. Put on permanent display since 1791 in Musée du Louvre  ,the  Mona Lisa has become the best known and most visited work of art in the world and the Louvre  is highly honored once again  to be considered capable of showcasing her astounding beauty for the world to admire.”

I took a sharp intake of breath. This was the time to seize the moment. The unveiling of La Jaconde would prove to be a major success streak for my first year as Head Curator of the Louvre.

“I , Helen Dubois, Head Curator of the Louvre, hereby commence the much awaited unveiling of the  Mona Lisa!”
I tugged at the ropes hard and purposeful and looked up to see my triumph in all her glory.

The Mona Lisa winked at me.

And then, I woke up to the rays of the sun teasing me . I blinked twice and rubbed my eyes in confusion. Reality soon grabbed me and quickly, I sat up on my bed. My hand brushed against my pince-nez and I put them on, my blurred vision cleared. I was greeted by my  slippers as I got down my bed. I stretched and smiled widely . With a  half hearted glance at the wall clock ,  I realized I was running late for the event. It was already eight thirty. Hurriedly, I ran into my bathroom hurling a string of instructions for my maid , Marie. After half an hour of  constant struggles , I got into the taxi.

Mademoiselle! Miss! You forgot your handkerchief ! Mademoiselle !”   screamed Marie after me. I took my kerchief from her and thanked her. She wished me luck and I commanded the taxi driver to drive me to the Louvre as soon as possible. He obliged. Within a matter of twenty minutes or so, I stepped into the museum through the staff quarters. A swarm of staff members were rushing about in despair. I could see that they were waiting for my arrival.

“ Helen , can we have all the curtains red ?” asked another curator, Andrew, “ And the table cloths cannot be red ,then.”
I turned around to face his worried look and replied ,“The curtains aren’t ready, yet ? Mon Dieu! Ensure they are the red ones with the golden borders.”

I passed him and walked briskly through the staff halls . An endless number of  enquiries held my concern, all of which were duly informed by my young assistant, Pierre Leroy.
“The cake cannot be served , Mademoiselle .Our chef has put salt instead of sugar and he says it would be criminal to serve our guests that . He is asking whether chocolate brownies would do instead ,” Pierre told me.
“Please order another cake from elsewhere,” I replied.
“Excellent idea Mademoiselle ! The podium has been polished and cleaned, just as you wished,” he continued.
“Very well, get it placed in front of the painting’s barricade once the exhibition space is opened right before the unveiling and make sure the speakers would be working fine,” I said as I stepped in to check the decorations of the main entrance, “ It would be disastrous if it stops working during someone’s speech.”
“It will be done. The red carpet has been dusted and laid as you commanded, Mademoiselle.”
Bien Pierre , now please inform me of the work that hasn’t been done yet.”
Oui, I believe that there is some defect in the lighting of two sculpture display spaces, a similar flickering of the main chandelier . The electricians are currently overlooking that issue and hopefully, it would soon be fixed”

“Fine, now tell me whether the food is ready or not? I want to monitor the setting of the tables. Where are the tables, Pierre?” I asked him in exasperation. It was of extreme importance that the table turn out in the old cultural format, just as the delegates would be expecting. Suddenly, a huge shadow of a man appeared next to me and I looked back briefly to see who it belonged to. “ I think you would like to take a look at the security measures for this afternoon, Mademoiselle Dubois,” said the Head of Security, Monsieur Bernard, and I asked him to lead the way. As I walked behind Monsieur, I called out to Pierre,” As soon as Monsieur Bernard is done I will return to see the catering finished. I hope I am understood.” I looked back to see Pierre in distress , calling out to several people. I sighed. The man walking in front of me, smiled at me and assured me that the event would turn out just fine. I returned  a sincere smile.
He lead me underneath the terrace door and into a small cemented room on the terrace. Before entering the room, Monsieur Bernard punched a six digit code in a machine which unlocked the door of the room and directed me in.
I gasped , the amount of electronic gadgets that small room held was impressive . The four walls were all covered with screens that held the scenes which the museum’s surveillance cameras recorded . The cameras spanned the 70,000 metre square area of the museum . There were only two chairs in the room , one faced a huge board of levers and switches and the other faced innumerable modern desktops . Behind the door, there was a cabinet that suspiciously looked like it held keys to all the rooms of the Louvre. Monsieur Bernard’s job was of utmost importance for the museum’s safety.

“All the necessary precautions have been taken, Mademoiselle. Just like every day, La Jaconde is always secure in her cage,” he said as I sat down on one of the chairs. He shifted his desktop screen and at once, I saw the very familiar Salle des Etats ( Room of the States) in front of me. This was the exhibition space that held the Mona Lisa in her showcase .The room had been closed for weeks for the general public. It was just opened yesterday to let the cleaning staff polish the marble and dust the exhibition space properly under the strict surveillance of Monsieur Bernard and sealed again instantly .The Mona Lisa was safe and alive underneath these layers of protection.  After the annual cleaning of La Jaconde, about a month ago, she was put away in her steel case. None of the staff members had seen the painting for the last three weeks and finally, in a matter of few hours the Mona Lisa will ascend her throne in her gorgeous best.
“The main doors are locked and only the security code can open them. The two emergency side doors are locked as well and will not be opened unless you or the Director command,” continued Bernard, “the full time surveillance cameras at the doors, five in number, each cover an area of 300 square meter. Only the cleaning staff and you have entered the room in the last three weeks, all of which has been recorded.” He explained to me the normal security measures for the painting again and assured me that the entire museum would be under the severe supervision of his team.

“As you know , we have  the list of all the confirmed attendees and God forbid, if any mishap occurs,  we will know exactly where all to look .”
I laughed and added, jokingly, “ And that I suppose would not be needed , Monsieur?”

He looked at me gravely and replied in his deep voice that he hoped so as well. I stood up, slowly and thanked Monsieur. I need not worry about the security of the event. After he led me back into the museum quarters , I was again greeted by a surge of worried staff. I called out for Pierre.

Soon a nervous rush of feet came up to me, I asked Pierre in hurry, “ Where are the tables , now? And the brochures?”
He nodded his head vigorously and said, “ The brochures have been ready since last week . You checked them yourself Mademoiselle!
I pressed my lips in annoyance, my memory was only getting weaker with this job. I asked for the brochures to be displayed near the entrance and for the list  of rooms that were open for the day. Since today was closed for the general public, the staff had less rush and extreme care had to be provided to the delegates. Pierre rushed to the kitchen quarters to handle our catering issues.

I swiftly walked passed Salle des Etats  to reach up to the Director’s office , but before I turned the door knob, I retraced my steps and walked up to the Room of States again . I couldn’t resist it. With just two hours to go for the event , I could see everything  fall into place . I entered the security code and the doors opened themselves, I walked in and closed the door again. I waved at one of the cameras installed inside the room, knowing Monsieur Bernard would probably be inspecting all the rooms now. With my heels clattering against the smooth polished marble, I reached up to the main glass case. The glass case was a marvel in itself. Specially for La Jaconde, the transparent yet virtually impregnable antiglare glass was installed. It was two centimetre thick and bulletproof in order to preserve the pinnacle of art. A unique climate control system had been installed as well. Therefore the temperature , humidity , air pressure was always perfectly stabilized for the painting. The exhibition area itself was huge , spanning over 450 square meter  . It was quite a walk.

After the retina scan , I was allowed within the glass case . The painting  was inside the display case which was made of thick steel and had further rear armor plating  made out of high resistance steel. It again required my retina scan to open it. I held my breath as it accepted the scan and I heard the mechanism of the case working slowly. The display case quietly pushed out the frame that held the painting . I stood there, absolutely transfixed at the thought of seeing the beauty right before the unveiling even though I had seen her for so many years. I smiled to greet the very familiar face , but no one greeted me.

The Mona Lisa was not there.

I took exactly two steps back and gasped .I stumbled but regained my composure. With a deep breath, I quietly closed all the security cages and went out of the glass case . It was suffocating inside.
And then I screamed.

As a reply to my most unwelcome shriek , I heard many of the staff members banging at the doors, I did not open them. I was too terrified . My job was at immense risk. Well, forget the job. My life was at immense risk. The Mona Lisa was stolen under my supervision. I would be subjected to capital punishment. This was the time to confront matters maturely and smartly, to act independently  and quickly. I burst into tears.

Monsieur Bernard was the first to enter soon followed by the Director. These were the only two people whose retina scan was also accepted other than mine .I was a sorry sight . Apparently, Bernard had seen all of my ventures through the cameras and was narrating them to the Director. Shortly, the Director was as pale as I was.

“ Le desastre ! La catastrophe ! La Jaconde has only been stolen once in 1911 and ever since the Louvre has done everything to ensure that never happens again. What have you done ?” the Director exclaimed animatedly.

The Director has always been the most animated person. His rise in temper was most hilarious,  because he couldn’t handle being angry . He was a gentle and caring creature . He had two grown up daughters , whom he treated with much delicacy  . He moved his hand over his stomach absentmindedly and frowned deeply. His walrus moustache danced in despair and his comical bald head shone in the bright light . At least , Pierre got the lighting right.

I shivered . Monsieur Bernard looked at me sympathetically . “Mademoiselle Dubois hasn’t done anything wrong. In fact, Director, she has shown splendid leadership qualities and the theft does not have her hand, I believe.”

The Director clicked his tongue and walked up to the glass case . I experienced a dreadful déjà vu . He too took several steps back when he saw the empty display case and gasped loudly . He moved his hand on his head and yelled at me, “ I cannot take such incompetence! Do you know what this theft means, Helen?”

He came out of the case and faced me . “It means  life imprisonment, a death sentence or worse, losing your job.” His eyes were wide and accusatory.  “Monsieur ,” I straightened myself and said, “ I take full responsibility of whatever has happened and am ready to accept any punishment . The Mona Lisa was my responsibility and I have faltered.” It took immense courage to take blame for the issue but it was no time to cry over spilt milk.

The Director sighed deeply. “ I truly appreciate your sincere apology . I trust you had no hand in this mishap but Helen, this will ruin not only our lives but the Museum’s reputation as well. This theft is most unfortunate.” I suggested that calling the Paris Police could help matters.

Non !” he exclaimed in terror, “ We cannot handle such infamous publicity just before the unveiling! The burglars must have stolen it days ago, when it was not in demand. What use is it now?” I had never seen the Director is such dejection, his entire optimistic approach to life was sucked out.  His moustache drooped dangerously low and his eyes were sunken emotionlessly.

I did not react to that. However, after an uncomfortable silence, the Director suddenly turned to Monsieur Bernard whose presence was almost forgotten. He gave Monsieur Bernard the most mystifying look and narrowed his brows . “ I wonder, Bernard, how the criminals passed your security systems so easily ? Didn’t you always guarantee invincible protection ?”
Monsieur Bernard looked down in shame and replied that he could not imagine how they achieved this feat.

“ I never expected you to fall back at the most crucial moment. Musée du Louvre was in your hands and you show such indolence!”  The Director screamed , blushing deep red in extreme fury, “ You will be the first person under trial for this robbery.” This shade of him was not often seen. Monsieur Bernard was also a man of loyalty and valor. He had been the Head of Security for a complete decade, and had never allowed a moment of complaint. Him, accepting the Director’s allegations could only mean that he was disappointed with himself as well. The Director, then, ceremoniously stripped him off the position of the Head of Security. The surroundings seemed very serene all of a sudden, and though we were in turmoil, everything else was very peaceful. Maybe the Mona Lisa was happy wherever she was and was telling us to let her go. I closed my eyes and waited for a miracle to happen. Pierre entered, instead.

“ Mademoiselle Dubois! The tables are perfectly ready for your inspection and they are beautiful!”

I opened my eyes and asked Pierre to stop shouting . It was all  too disturbing for my old ears. Pierre looked at me and frowned, “ But, Mademoiselle, the delegates will soon be arriving. Shouldn’t we be ready to welcome them?”

The Director stomped his foot and yelled across to Pierre, “ Don’t you worry about the delegates! I believe they would soon be entertained by the police. La Jaconde has been stolen, my boy! Hear it well, the Mona Lisa is no longer in the Louvre!”
To that outburst, Pierre returned a slight amused smile as though he just heard the world’s funniest joke but he didn’t find it funny. And then, he opened his mouth and trust me, I had never been more grateful to hear Pierre speak.

“ But, the Mona Lisa is in the storeroom.”

As those pearls tumbled from his mouth, the three of us turned to face him. He stared at us in confusion. The Director asked him to slowly repeat his words which he did. As he spoke, I suffered from a dreadful flashback, which Pierre reminded me when he said that I had instructed him to keep her in the storeroom. About two or three weeks ago, in this very room, when Pierre and I were deciding decorations for the event, I had jokingly suggested that the Mona Lisa would be safest in the storeroom as no one would imagine her to be there. Pierre had said that it would be done. Little did I know that my faithful assistant was so naïve.

Monsieur Bernard and I went to collect La Jaconde from the storeroom. As I placed the precious lady back to her rightful position, I almost saw her wink at me.

And I winked right back.