The red Stars | Teen Ink

The red Stars

By Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri
Nerbles GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

The red, the color of anger and rage but also meaning  longing and love. Everywhere I looked the color seemed to flash. The flash soon brought images of a girl. I couldn't make her out, All I ever remember seeing is her black hair and her pale skin. She wore a white and red dress, but her face was blurred out. She kept whispering to me, I also could never hear what she says, it always comes out as a low pitch moan, she never says anything audible. I would scream ,“WHAT DO YOU WANT????????” but then the moan would get louder and the red would take over my vision. I swung up into a sitting position in a cold sweat trying to breath. I sat there and just stared at the wall wondering what was going on. I've been having the same nightmare every day this year. Infact I have been having this recurring nightmare since I have been hired to start a building project in Yarrin. I am to make a full graveyard and a church because apparently there was never one build there  even though the town was built as long as anyone can remember. I got up and started my daily routine, which is just taking a shower and getting dressed. Once I got dressed, I grabbed the my jet black suitcase and walked out the door.  I drove for quite sometime, through the woods and fields, before finally arriving at the small town. The town was really old looking, the paint on the building were chipped, the building look like they would collapse with a strong breeze. It was fall so the town was covered in a blanket of yellow and red leaves and the brisk air seemed to cut through my clothes. The town was all in one street, 10 houses on each side. The bar and hotel was on the right, the general store and a couple of other buildings with worn out signs on the right. There were no cars other than a few that seem to had to have sat there for quite some time because plants have started growing inside the cars and no people were in the street to drive them. I walked over to the hotel and no one was behind the desk or in the same room as me in matter of fact. I rang the bell, and waited a few seconds, I couldn't find anyone so I glance at the door to try to find someone, then glanced back. He seemed to appear out of thin air and he just sat there in his booth staring at me not saying a wierd. I said “Hello? ..... I'm here to build the church and would like to get a room.”
“Don't worry about paying for the room, No one ever shows up, room #2.” He replied in a monotone voice as he stared me down and handed me the keys.
“Uhhhhhh, Okay?”  I spat out. I grabbed my suitcase and walked up the stairs and walked past the door that read #1 and came to the door that said #2, I unlocked the door and pushed open the door. It seemed to protest at first, but soon swung open after some time.  The room was small and dusty. The beds were made of straw and the sheets were stitched pieces of cloth. I sat my suitcase down and opened it. Inside revealed plans for the graveyard and the church. I glanced over the plans and walked back down the stairs bringing the notes in hand. The man was gone by the time I reached the bottom of the stairs, I rubbed my eyes. “I must be sleep deprived or on drugs and I don't remember doing acid ever in my entire life .” I thought as I walked out the door.  I walked to the very bottom of the the street and there was a big plot that would be the graveyard and church. The materials were already there lying next to the street. Off in the distance was two small children figures running around the field. I stood and stared at them for a while curious at what they were doing, then one of the figures stop and pointed at me. They both then sprinted to the woods, stumbling over each other to reach the edge. “Too bad these kids won't be able to play here anymore once construction starts.” I whispered.
“Yea they are a handful.” a woman said to me.
“I'm sorry I didn't notice you standing there, the name, Balthazar, I'm here to give this quiet town a holy place.” I replied
She frowned but quickly caught herself and turned it into a smile. “ Oh yes you were set to arrive today, my name is Ophelia, It's good to meet you. I know this town is quiet and not like the big cities but we do have fun.  why not visit the town bar, we have the strongest alcohol”
“I don't drink ...... well I do just only on special occasions.” I said quickly
“Well it is special for us, so please, since you're new we will even give it to you for free.”  She shot back
“well I am kinda hungry, I'll visit it later but I came down here for a job, I must get what i need done first.” I told her, Then I made my way towards my room. Everything was how I left it except that my suitcase was on the floor and my papers had fallen out. It must've just fell off the bed and I thought nothing more of it. I jumped on my bed and started to doze off when I heard muffled voices and and soft footsteps. I glanced out the front of my window and in the distance way down the street I see a small light. It was farther into the building and down to where the kids were playing. I got up and curiosity took over. I walked down the stairs and no one was in sight. I walked out and started following the light. Soon I was at the edge of the woods and I could see the light better, it was a candlestick, But who was holding it?. It was a small hooded figure and I couldn't make out a face. I moved closer to see who was he was but, a branch cracked underneath my feet. I figure looked in my direction peering into the darkness. I hide behind a nearby tree and waited. I guess the figure thought it was an animal because it was soon walking away. I followed until we came across the cave opening. It was a good sizing opening with weird symbols on the walls leading to the tunnel, but again my curiosity got the better of me and I made my way through the tunnel. The deeper I went into the tunnel the more detailed the symbols got.  Until I got to a huge cavern. The room was huge with an altar in the middle. They didn't notice me come in, so I hide behind a rock near the exit and observed. Ophelia was at the head of the altar, the only one not wearing a hood. She wasn't speaking but started to hum. After a minute the room joined in and one of the hooded figure went and brought out a man. I do not recognize but he was thing and looked in bad shape. His bones moved underneath his paper skin and his heavy breathing could be heard over the hums. They laid him on the altar and bonded him using leather straps. Ophelia soon produced a knife and weird blade. It was wavy, which is how I like my potato chips. It had a weird gem in the hilt the seemed to glow brighter when was being brought closer to the sacrifice. She brought the blade down and started messing with the victim. She started to skin him alive. His screams pierced the sky and the gem grew brighters. After what seemed like forever and a lot of screaming they started to cut out his still beating heart and pulled it out of his chest cavity. The knife then was used to suck all color from his heart and absorbed the whole thing. Soon the gem glowed a deep shade of red and fell off a hilt and a bright light blinded everyone. A knight stood where the gem once was. Everyone kneeled but the knight did something I didn't expect. He grabbed  Ophelia and screamed in a deep voice “You dare awaken me puny mortal?” Before she could get out any words he pushed her to the ground and used his shield the bash her into the ground. The screams pierced the air and the cultist didn't know what to do. The cracking of bones and the screams were too much to handle. I watched in horror was he executed every cultist and when he was done ripping the last cultist into too. I walked over in my direction. With one swift move of his sword he cut through the rock I was hiding behind. He picked me up and used the dagger to absorb my soul so I would be trapped in the gem for eternity.The pain and the guilt is all I felt in the void but I guess that it. I have nothing else to do, but to travel among the stars that are now tinted with blood, of the countless victims of the knight.