A Lesson? | Teen Ink

A Lesson?

May 5, 2016
By Anonymous

The sun emitted light upon the huge field Johnny and I were playing soccer on. The field was covered with small woods and trees of all shapes and sizes. Small animals and birds roamed happily around the field, grateful (just like us) of the beautiful day. A zephyr swept through the field, cooling our sweaty bodies.
“Nice shot!” Johnny complimented as he retrieved the soccer ball from the goal.” “Now, let’s return home,” Johnny suggested, “we’ve played for a couple of hours already.”
“Let’s play for a couple more minutes,” I disagreed, “then, we can go home.”
“OK,” he said, although judging by his voice I could tell he was exhausted and wanted to go home.
I shot again and missed the goal by a couple of meters - not even close. Suddenly, without any warning, a storm stirred up; the sky rumbled with thunder, and lightning sparked close near the field. It was as if the storm was artificial; it went from a warm and beautiful day to a bad, dangerous storm in an instant. The lightning struck the field and I heard Johnny scream - he was struck by a lightning. He looked like an alien; his body looked… I turned back, unable to look at poor Johnny’s terrible situation. I sensed him getting up and charging towards me. Consumed with curiousness and horror at Johnny’s situation, I started to sprint as fast as I could towards the woods.
“Wait up, Manuel!” Johnny bellowed over the thunder, “why are you running away from me?”
I felt a strong remorse on the circumstance; Johnny got struck because of me, since I was the one who insisted that we stay and play. If we had gone home early, we would have been as safe as a baby kangaroo. I stumbled on a branch and fell down as I was not paying attention to where I was running; I fell down on the ground very hard. I attempted to get up, but I couldn’t - I was injured very badly. From the corner of my eye, I saw Johnny emerging from the trees. What could (or would) Johnny do to me? Could (or would) he kill me? The Johnny I knew wouldn’t have ever killed me, but right now, who knew what this Johnny would do?  Filled with uncertainty, I tried desperately to stand up and run, but I couldn’t. Johnny was an inch away from me by now. At that moment, another jolt of lightning hit johnny, and suddenly, Johnny and his body returned back to normal. I stared in awe at Johnny; he looked as though nothing ever had happened. The storm also instantly stopped… again as if it was artificial. The day turned warm and beautiful again.
“Manuel, are you okay?” Johnny asked in a concerned voice.
I barely heard him as I looked around: I was lying down on the field, where we were playing, not near the deep woods.