A Shot in the Dark | Teen Ink

A Shot in the Dark

By AlphaCino BRONZE, Suwon, Other
AlphaCino BRONZE, Suwon, Other

Lee popped a stick of gum into his mouth. He furiously gnashed at the stiff gob until it mellowed into a pleasantly chewy wad. Gum is prohibited in the South Korean Army, but he got his hands on a pack whenever and wherever he could. He needed his regular fix for his night watches. It helped him soothe his nerves while guarding his country from his position in the general outpost outside the DMZ.

On this particular shift, the gum failed Lee for the first time. He fidgeted with his rifle, nervously picking at the safety switch. It was already his fourth time at this post, but his anxiety was understandable, considering his mere two weeks of enlistment. His seniors had fun with the newbie’s nerves, telling them the most horrific stories they knew about the accidents on the outpost. They told of wrathful North Korean spirits driving Southerners to suicide and tales of a psychotic Northerner who tramped about the DMZ with a kill tally of 28 Southern night watchmen.

Just stories, Lee told himself now, breathing deeply. A considerate senior had told him that if anything moves out there, it’s usually a deer, so there’s no need to worry.
Just stories, he was telling himself again, when a branch snapped in the distance.

Lee nearly swallowed his gum. He coughed violently until he spat it out. Just a deer, he thought. Then another rustle in the leaves.

As Lee squinted out into the woods, he realized his pants were becoming steamy wet. As the dampness spread, he bit his lower lip until it bled. Wait till the seniors hears this one, he thought grimly, but the joke was lost when he saw an unnatural glimmer. Shibal, he cursed in Korean, taking firing position. His gun felt unnaturally heavy. Another gleam. Whether it was the eye of a wild cat or the moon reflecting off a gun barrel, Lee couldn’t take any chances. A drop of perspiration or tear, no one could tell, maybe both, ran down his cheek.

Another movement in the dark, only it was 20 yards away this time. Shibal, Lee swore again. Shibal, shibal, shibal. He c***ed his gun, cringing at the sharp sound of the steel being set against the stark silence. Just a deer. Lee held his breath. Just a deer. Just a…The figure crashed forward and Lee, whether out of his military training or out of sheer terror, fired.

It was a deer. After returning at dawn and being laughed at when he showed up with moist pants, Lee went back to the site with his supervisors. A fawn with its guts blown out was found, and Lee’s captain just smirked, saying, “S*** happens”.
No, Lee thought with a shudder. Things like this couldn’t and shouldn’t happen. I shot with intention to kill, deer or man. It was a deer this time, but it could be a man next time.

But then again, s*** happens.

This is a story about the DMZ, a sensitive issue in my country, although I don't personally know much about military life or problems. So I tried to make this as non-political as possible and concentrated mostly on the psychology of a scared man.