Falling | Teen Ink

Falling

My hand is trembling, and wet, my face is soaked, and everything is drowning in water. Not fresh water, and not salt water. It's tears. My tears? Am I crying? I dont remember anything else. Just tears. Only the feeling of wetness and emptiness remained. I can't see anything. I cant make a sound. Then, as if a galaxy away, a soft white light began to reach towards me. It looks like a hand. Not just any disembodied hand, my hand. I would know my own hand, right? Once it got closer I saw myself and looked at the tears that were flowing down my face that weren't tears any longer, they were air bubbles, they were floating up and away from my lungs. The hand grabbed me and began pulling me, lightly at first, but gaining speed. I thought water would have shot through my nose and mouth and into my lungs, but everything felt dry, I didnt feel wetness anymore. I closed my eyes and let the hand pull me away from the cold, wet, blackness.
   When I opened my eyes, I was lying in a hospital bed. The lights were bright white. The walls, bare and sanitary white. The floor seemed to have have a white and light grey checkerboard pattern all over. The stiff bed under me was stiff and uncomfortable, andadorned with the obviously customary colors of white and grey. And I was wearing a teal colored gown. I didn't seem to have any machines stuck to me, so i sat up and swung my legs slowly over the edge. My toes only barely dragged across the floor from the tall bed. Easy enough, I thought. I pushed myself off the bed and my legs didn't collapse from under me, a good sign. The cold tiles under my feet caused me to shiver. The room began to spin around me, but it finally settled. I took a step and the room threatened to start spinning again, so I stopped. I didn't feel any pain, so I took another step and then another and soon I was pushing my way out of the door. Doctors and nurses wandered about going in and out of other rooms, like what I assumed to be normal here. I walked over to a desk and stopped. The lady at the desk looked up from her paperwork and seemed to look past me and back down to her papers. I tried to speak, but nothing came out. I tried waving, but she never looked up. I turned around and stood. No one seemed to notice that I was wandering around aimlessly. I needed to go outside and get some air. I didn't see any exit signs, so I approached a doctor, he wordlessly held out a hand etended towards a set of stairs that went up. Well, no one will notice my absence. I thought. So I took the stairs up.
   At the top, there was a small, but wide room, with two doors on the opposite wall. The sign above them read them as "Changing Rooms". One door was cracked open, so I decide to push it open and it gave way with a light creak. Inside was a small room with a stool and on the other side was another door. It opened silently and knocked the wall on the inside which echoed almost endlessly. It was pitch black and I tentetively took a step forward.
   When I stepped into the room, the door behing me slammed shut and I couldn't see anything. I held my hand in front of me, still nothing. I took another step, but it didn't connect with solid ground. In fact, it didn't connect with anything. It was as if my foot just slipped on the blackness into more blackness. I fell forward with my all my weight. I fell into nothing.
   I fell fora long time. I had began to weep a while ago. I wiped my tears. There were so many. The wind whiped my hair and caused it to sting my face. I wiped my face again, causing my hand to become wet. I felt so empty now. I new I was alone.
   I've been falling for several days now. I'm still crying, the tears just form a stream that flow above me and dissapear into the void of black. I began to feel wetness. Not suddenly, but the coldness slipped through my bones. My whole body was wet now.I tried to see the source of the water, but all I could see was black. I couldn't breath. It was all water. I couldn't make a sound to somehow capture someone's attention. My hand began to shake. It was cold and wet. This all felt somehow familiar. Why would this be familiar. Then, I saw a light. It was so far away...

With a writing challenge, an idea, and a single hour, I managed to scrape together this story. of course, since that was a few months ago, I have made a few slight adjustments to some grammar, organization of events, and minor details. The challenge was to create a story that began at the end, and that's exactly what I did.

Yours_Truly_120 BRONZE, Fort Payne, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
So, I may have missed a portion of the story. I thought it all copied and pasted into the box. There's a whole chunk of story missing...