Not Again | Teen Ink

Not Again

I didn't want to do this. I have always dreaded these tough missions, one after another. I knew I was going to make a mistake one of these days. I got the call from my boss this morning. He explained the entire situation in less than 30 seconds. That must be a new record. I'd like to see him do my job, it's much harder than he thinks.
Well, here we go. Same task as always. Get in. Do the job. Get the hell out. Sounds easy, right?
So, I've been doing this job basically my whole life. The suspicious activity started the same day this town was founded. It took my parents away from me when I was a kid, throwing me into the justice system immediately. The only reason this town is still alive is thanks to folks like me, who get s*** done and move on.
Okay, here we go. The target is spotted. A tall, dark figure in a long trench coat, lurking around in a back alley. Not a rare sighting in this town. I can't seem to make out their face, but I'll see it once I have their body laying in the morgue. No time for messing around, just gotta approach and kill. I sneak up, but not quietly enough. They hear me, and start walking away, at a quick pace. I know I'm no match for them if they start running, with my foot busted from my last mission, so I desperately reach out at the figure. I feel my fingers grab the edge of the trench coat. This is it, I think. This is my greatest success. I better get that raise when I get back. As I tear he coat from the man, I place a hand on my gun, for I don't know what this dangerous criminal could be carrying. I get ready, and…
I fall back, bringing the coat with me. I look up to see the man beneath it, yet no one is there. Damn it, I think. He got away. But then I look down at his empty shoes, and the dark hat he had on his head. Then I see it.
        Not again.
        Surrounding me are several small bearded men.

Gnomes.