The Hidden Truth | Teen Ink

The Hidden Truth

It was my turn to pick up my daughter, Anna, from school today and, as usual, I was leaving 30 minutes earlier than most parents. My wife Caroline thinks I’m crazy for leaving that early, but if she only knew the reason why.

It has been almost twenty years since my parents died and after finding out the truth, paranoia seems to be a daily struggle. I find myself thinking of the worst scenarios that could possible happen to not only me, but my family as well. Like whether or not Anna could be kidnapped while walking out of school or my wife Caroline could be confronted while going to the grocery store. I keep this constant nervousness to myself because it’s my job. After my parents died is when my whole life turned around. It was then that I first began working as an undercover agent. Since that I have been trying to maintain a normal life, while claiming that I actually work at a prestigious law firm downtown. However it is becoming harder and harder everyday to keep this a secret.
As a child I lived a pretty normal life through my eyes, but little did I know that what I thought was normal was actually a lie. I believed my parents worked normal full-time jobs as business men and women. Which they did, however, there was much more to it. I was 14 when I first found out the truth about them. My parents were undercover agents. For many years they had been working on a case to try and stop illegal trade across the United States border. In their efforts to end these crimes they found themselves in life or death situations. Soon after their latest mission I found myself sitting in the social services office as an agent explained to me the tragic death of not one, but both of my parents. After that point my world came crashing down in more ways than I could have ever imagined. Since then I have made it my life’s work to finish what they started and bring justice to their names.
As I’m sitting in my car I continue to check the time and wonder what is taking Anna so long. Just as I am about to step out I see Anna walking out of the center doors surrounded by a few of her close friends that I recognize from past play dates at our house. They all quickly get a few last words in before they say their goodbyes and walk their separate ways. At only ten years old Anna is starting to look like her mother more and more every day. With her golden blonde hair that glistens every time the sunlight hits it and her deep blue eyes that anyone could get lost in.
“Hi Dad” Anna says as she quickly jumps into the backseat while tossing her backpack on to the seat next to her, only to have it tumble to the floor.
“How was school today, Belle?”
Caroline and I have never been good at deciding, so when it came time to pick a baby name we were quite conflicted. After much time of going back and forth we ended up combing our names and naming our little girl Annabelle. Caroline picked Anna and I had picked Belle.
“It was alright. Mrs. Beck gave us a lot of math homework today for no reason though, I think. I hate math so much Dad”
“Well you have got to learn it sometime Belle.”
“Yea, but I still don’t like it.”
After arriving home Anna rushes to her room. A few weeks ago we finally caved and let her get a pet, but since Caroline is allergic to cats and dogs; a hamster was next on Anna’s list. Even though in my eyes it is a rodent Anna seems to treat it as if it was her own child. I then walk to me room to quickly change out of my usual work attire and change into my favorite pair of jeans along with a pullover sweater. As I walk back down stairs I can’t help but smile to myself when I see Anna sprawled out on her bedroom floor as she watches the hamster scurry around in his plastic ball.
“What would you like for dinner?” asks Caroline as she opens the fridge only to stare at it as if she was waiting for it to decide for her. Even after being married for over nine year’s neither of us have ever seemed to be very useful in the kitchen when it comes to cooking.
“Tell you what, let’s order in.”
Less than an hour later we were all sitting down around the dining room table enjoying Anna’s favorite, Pizza. Even though we seem have to have pizza more than I like, the delicious aroma never fails to make my mouth water. I was just beginning to clear the table when my phone buzzed. I looked down at the screen to see Agent Field’s name. As I excused myself, I walked into my study and answered.
“Richard, we have a confirmed location of the trade tonight. We need to act quickly if we are going to catch these men.”
A million thoughts went through my mind at that moment, but what I knew I needed to do was get to that location right away. I walked out of my study and into the kitchen where Caroline and Anna were propped on the seats of the island doing Anna’s homework.
“I’ve got bad news guys. I just got a call from the office and they need me in right away. I might be home late, so don’t wait up” I then kissed them both, exchanged I “love you’s”, and hurried to the garage to quick change and gather my supplies. As I began pulling out of the garage I mentally went over what our plan was and what I needed to do. This was finally going to end. But little did I know, that night would be the last time I might ever see my family again.