I Should Have Ran | Teen Ink

I Should Have Ran

By Elf22 SILVER, Rome, Pennsylvania
Elf22 SILVER, Rome, Pennsylvania

"We don't see things as they are we see things as we are"- the talmud

It’s 4 am and all I can think of is that voice; how scary it was to hear it crack like window. How it fell apart in a series of cries; a series of pulling out the thread to unseam a dress. It lays in a pile in my mind. It cries! It's horrendous and with its impeccable timing it's hard to think of anything else. It's hard to think how warm her ocean cold skin brushed against my hand. How hard it is to think of her coal like eyes that had such an ember glow.It was engraved, burned into my soul. A never ending replay that had such a brilliantly antagonizing sensation that warmed me to the bone. It soothed my mind, made me insane for more, yet all I can think of is her voice. How it cracked by the moonlight and was heard around the world. You surely would think one would run to the devil and sell his soul; beg him to end this tormenting noise, but I didn’t. I ran to it full speed one foot in front of the other to find her. She sat on the frosted snowy ground; a black mess of light that stared to the sky as if it held the answer to life. I was surprised, shocked, appalled by her mystical way of being so beautiful. It was as if she was a star herself the way she reached for them. Her delicate fingers touched the dark blanket; letting the infinite sea of glass souls indulge in her bony hand. It draped over the towers and houses; over the trees and mountains it hung above us.  Just us alone in the word full of eyes and feet. At this moment all I saw was the fallen angel she had become in the minutes that I watched her from afar and so I proceeded onwards trudging along fighting the urge to run away like a scared house mouse. Damn those mice stealing my food! My food! I buckled down and raged, rioted up a war for courage. As I approached her the light dimmed down to a flicker that would burn from a dead candle. The glow came from her perfectly sketched face; her ember like eyes resembled a small kindering fire that refused to die. “A creature like her could have not been born in this world”. I thought to myself. A burst of bravery came through and I opened my voiced just a bit for her to hear. “Hello” and that was the only thing I said.  She turned to me and did not say a thing, not a thing! When she opened her mouth her voice cracked and splintered against the morning air. My heart stopped at the inhumane savage screech that exploded from her dying soul. The fear of the devil stampeded through my veins! I saw him in her with his bulky, scaly horns and his spear like teeth! Now, I saw her clearly. It was not the eyes or her face that glowed. It was the blood the trickled and dripped out of her eyes like a broken faucet. It flowed down her white face and I ran like a rabid dog. Out of all of this I heard her splintering, ear shattering cracked voice. It played over and over again like a broken record that can not be fixed.. It's welded to the machine an everlasting indestructible machine. I should have ran at the first goosebump that formed on my arm. Now I am infected, ruined like the ruins of the last war. Millions of the innocent dead clawing at my organs and tugging at my heart. I should have ran. 

I love her.