The Testimony of Elrik Mangus | Teen Ink

The Testimony of Elrik Mangus

By 13liv BRONZE, Mapleton, Illinois
13liv BRONZE, Mapleton, Illinois

“Radish paused at the doormat. She felt as if somebody was watching her, she turned around and saw nothing. Slowly, cautiously she walked in her house and started her nightly routine: take off shoes, take a shower, get dressed, eat, and go to bed. I watched through the bushes, she breathed in and out. 13 breaths per minute. I was in the park one day and I was drawn to her  by the way she walked. It seems silly to say now, she walked so odd, so much like a duck. I have never seen a thing like it. Now as I watch her toss and turn in her large queen sized bed I think how much part of me wants to kill her, but part of me wants to be her friend. I turned away and walked to the subway stop, people pushed me, ignored me and I’m starting to wonder, Will anybody ever notice me? Will I ever be loved by somebody?  I got on the subway and sat until my stop. I went to my dark room and started developing the pictures that I took of Radish today. I looked down at my slightly tan hands and then I started the process of developing the pictures. I stayed up all night developing but when I was done it was amazing! There were pictures all over the house! It was my most successful day yet! ‘Could I have a salad and a medium banana protein smoothie, please?’ Radish asked noiselessly. I heard her ordering even from 100 yards away I looked down at my binoculars and read the poem I carved on them, “Roses are red, Violets are blue, Your curtains are open, I’m watching you.” I carved it on there to remind myself that they were my binoculars to watch Radish and not to watch birds. As Radish drove away I ran through the woods to where she worked, Berkeley Lab. I had memorized her route the first day I noticed her in the park, the first day I knew I wanted to cut her duck legs off. She went inside...she worked in a room with no windows, so I couldn’t survey her during work. I walked around in the non-restricted areas to see if I could see her. I caught a glimpse of her walking past a window in the bathroom, but she then left. So I went home shortly after that.
I don't know what happened then, I was home in my dark room and everything went blank, but I wasn’t unconscious. I could hear a voice telling me to kill Radish. It chanted, “Kill, kill, kill, kill! KILL HER!” About an hour later I snapped out of it and I had a huge headache.
I went to sit on the couch but I saw my first picture of Radish and I realized how much I did want to kill her. But I don’t want to kill her I only watch her, trying to rid the feeling of cutting her legs off and burying them in my garden. With the thought of killing Radish in my head, I slept well. I woke up the next morning from my alarm sounding that it was time for Radish to go on her morning walk. On my way to the park everybody pushed, me ignored me, made me feel invisible, just like always. I got to the park and sat on my regular bench. Today, instead of running I saw her skateboarding. Earlier in the week I saw her buy one, but she’s not the type to skateboard. While she was skateboarding her legs were unsteady. I started twitching, I slowly pulled my machete out of my pocket. The only thing that stopped me was the people around, they don't notice me but they notice Radish. There was also a policeman approaching I decided that it wasn’t the time to do what the voice told me to do. Then, Radish fell off the board right next to me. I knew as a stalker not to let Radish to see me. Disregarding that thought I went over and helped her up. Her hands were warm just like I imagined, but I couldn't stop looking at her legs. I was thinking of them in my burried in my garden. I quickly looked away when she was up and went back to my bench and she went to her car. I followed her with caution and got in my rusted car. I followed her back to her house. She walked in the door and I hid in the bushes just like I always did. I was there so often that the neighbors cat always came to me and sat with me. I enjoyed the extra company because I knew that Radish didn’t notice me. I watched her as she slept, 13.5 breaths per minute, just a bit faster than last night. Five tenths to be exact, when I first watched her sleep it was 12.75 breaths per minute. When I was sure she was sleeping and my camera got full I went home and started developing pictures again. When I was done developing pictures I had ‘The Change,’ again, when I woke up I walked into the bathroom but I saw a flower petal on the ground by the basement door. I didn’t think much of it but I still went downstairs. CREEK! I jumped but it was only me walking down the old rotten stairs. First I turned left and walked forward about twenty paces to the sub-room, the right ten paces to the other sub-room. I didn’t see anything but then I remembered that there was a bunker just left of the second room. I walked into the bunker then I spun in a circle, I didn’t see anything until I got to the last part of the bunker. I screamed as I saw the bloody body hanging on the wall. It was covered in blood, I couldn’t identify it. I looked down where the legs should be, but I didn’t see any. I took a cloth and wiped the blood off the face; it was Radish. I was sprinting up the stairs, two steps at a time, I ran to my garden. My heart beat faster as I saw the mound of dirt in my garden. I grabbed my spear shovel which was drenched in blood, I quickly dug where the mound of dirt was and I found her legs. I then had the change again but this time I was fully aware of what was happening. I was saying, ‘It’s finally done I can leave you now. Good bye fellow criminal.” 
I answered the officer's question of what happened. I waited for three days in a holding cell until the officer and another person, they say a physiatrist.
“After a three days of multiple evaluating sessions we have decided you will have to go to a mental hospital. This will be your psychiatrist, Mr. Potatoeye.”
“Hi there little feller!” he had an annoyingly high pitched voice like a 3 year old princess.
“I will be helping you overcome your problems.” He smirked as he said the words, then left me in the room.
HIS VOICE! HIS VOICE! I screamed in my head for hours. When I finally settled down I laid on my bed. I heard a whisper I didn’t know what or who it was it gradually got louder. I could now hear it clearly, “I’m back!.” It mimicked over and over.
“Where are you?” I screamed back at him. “Where are you?” I ran around my room trying to find him. I couldn’t find him but I kept spinning and spinning and spinning.
“I’m baaaack!” he tortured me with the words. They stabbed me each time he said them. Then everything was black.
“Ah.” I breathed He’s finally gone!”
Dr. Potatoeye galloped in the room.
Now’s the time! I can finally shut that princess mouth of his up! I can do what he wouldn’t do!
“Hello!” He said
“Hi,” I tried my best to sound like Elrik, “could you please lock the door? I don’t want anyone to disturb us.” I said in my best whiney voice. “You're the only one who has the key right?”
“Yes sir!” He said very cheerfully.
“Come sit over here by me.”
He sat on my bed right next to where I could choke him with the sheets.
“AAAHHHHH!” the scream was so sweet, like honey. I grabbed his key and used all my weight to stab it through his heart. Another scream as sweet, “AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!”