The Nightmare | Teen Ink

The Nightmare

February 9, 2016
By Jessica12r BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Jessica12r BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“SHOCK DELIVERED, STAND BACK,” a strange machine ordered.
A heart rate monitor was beeping but then went flat.
His last breath was taken on December 17, 1945

A woman is pacing and hysterically crying in the hallway. She is a tall brunette that is wearing a silver cross necklace engraved with the word,“Marissa”. She turns around only to see another women approach her. The other women is dressed in scrubs and begins to inform the bad news, “I’m sorry but your husband has passed. Would you like to say goodbye?”

“Why, of course.” Marissa’s face was the epitome of grief. Inside, she was screaming, “I am a widow. I will be forever alone!” She walked towards the cold hospital room, careful to not step on any wires. She recited a meaningful goodbye speech for her husband. She described how much she loved him and his best quality; humor. Suddenly, someone told her, “It will be okay” and she gasped  “Am I going crazy or did I just hear Adam’s voice?”

“No, you aren't crazy darling.” whispered Adam.

“Adam! You are supposed to be dead! Am I dreaming?” questioned Marissa.

She checked his pulse and felt nothing. She began to pray but Adam interrupted her and jumped out of bed. She didn’t know what to do. “HELP!” she screamed.


“darling, wake up. Are you okay? You’re shaking” Adam told Marissa, She opened her eyes and saw Adam next to her. Her face was wet because she must’ve been crying in her sleep. She felt her necklace and smiled, “Yes, thank you, goodnight”