The Fortune Cookie | Teen Ink

The Fortune Cookie

There was once a married couple. One day they went to a Chinese restaurant to celebrate their twentieth year anniversary. While they were talking about how they met and the good old times the man opened his fortune cookie. He read the fortune and immediately became silent. His wife who noticed this strange reaction asked, “What’s the matter, sweetie? You look like you just saw a ghost.” The husband who didn’t want to ruin their special night disregarded it and said that there was nothing to worry about.

Later that night, the man couldn’t stop thinking about what the fortune cookie said. He decided to put it aside and go to sleep. He dreamed that he was running away from a strange figure who was chasing him with a chainsaw. For the next few days, the man kept having the same dream over and over again but every time he dreamed it, the figure got closer and closer.
One particular night, the figure was so close that the man could hear him breathing behind him. Luckily, the man soon woke up to the phone ringing in the living room. He went to pick up the phone but all he heard was heavy breathing on the other end. He hung up after five seconds. The phone rang again and finally a voice spoke up. “Beware. Don’t let her out of your sight.” The man felt scared and thought about his fortune cookie. He decided to call the police.
“911. What’s your emergency?”, said the other phone line. The man replied, “Hello. I’m getting these unusual phone calls and I feel as if they are threats.” After the man gave the police the phone number, the police called back. “I think you are mistaken, sir. That phone number is no longer in service. It belonged to a warehouse that burned down twenty years ago.” The man thanked the police for their time and double checked the number. He was not mistaken. A chill ran over him and he decided to go check on his wife.
As he entered his bedroom, he saw a shadow over his wife. He rushed to turn on the lights. Startled, his wife woke up and asked if everything was okay. The man was just a little traumatized. The shadow came from a tree outside the window. He told his wife about the mysterious call and the shadow that was a misunderstanding. She told him to go back to sleep. He was probably just tired and in need of some sleep.
The next morning the man’s wife decided to buy her husband a gift. She went to an antique shop. While she was there she came across a mirror that caught her attention. The mirror looked very ordinary except for what it displayed. Standing in front of the mirror she saw her reflection. It was her but her clothes was smeared in blood. She was alarmed but found it fascinating. She didn’t know they invented mirrors like that. It was way too expensive though so she went on in search of a good gift for a good price. In the end she bought a beautiful clock.
Later that day, the man’s wife arrived home but her husband was not home yet. She decided that she wanted to surprise her husband when he got home from work. She cooked a great feast and set up her clock. As she set up her clock, she saw an odd humanlike figure through the window. Frightened, she went to the kitchen and got a knife. She clutched it close to her and waited for her husband in the kitchen. It was almost midnight. By now her husband would be home. It was getting later and later but her husband did not arrive. She called him but it went straight to voicemail. She went upstairs and fell asleep while waiting for her husband.

Her husband arrived. He entered the house and left the lights off, not wanting to wake up his wife. He saw the feast she made and started eating. His wife woke up and heard someone in the kitchen. She was very cautious and crept downstairs thinking it was an intruder while in her hand was the knife. Her husband started heading towards their bedroom but tripped and landed on the ground. His wife saw her husband on the ground but mistakened it for the strange figure. All her adrenaline kicked in and she stabbed her husband. Once she heard his yell, she knew she had committed a horrible mistake. She ran to turn on the lights and saw her husband laying on the ground bleeding. Immediately, she went and called the police. The ambulance arrived just as the clock struck midnight. It was too late her husband bleed to death. She was devastated and her clothes smeared in blood.
About a year later, she was still scarred. The image of her dead husband and that strange figure still haunts her. On what would have been their twenty first anniversary, she was sorting out his clothes. In the pocket of his favorite shirt, she found the fortune from the fortune cookie. “Life or death. Your life will be taken away by your wife at midnight.”