The People in the Lighthouses | Teen Ink

The People in the Lighthouses

There once was a young girl named Aviary. She lived in an old house in the middle of the small town of Spurberry. It was a beautiful, big, blue house that sat near the lake with a big, green yard. They had a big brown dog to keep watch that would sit on the porch bathing in the sun until  night came. Aviary was an average girl who led a normal life with loving parents just like all the other kids in the neighborhood. The whole community was as you would call it, normal. It was late in the fall and the end of November was approaching which meant our little Aviary would soon be turning 9. As any little kid would be, she was very excited. Her parents would invite all of her family and friends over to join the celebration. She loved birthdays with a passion. She enjoyed every one gathering for lunch together, eating cake and the best part of all, opening the presents. Finally, the day had arrived, and she was more that ready, and as planned everything went great. Later that night, just as she always does, she returned to her room to prepare for bed but something was different this night.
Although all was normal, Aviary’s room was a little different. She had  a room in the attic, which she never minded. It had green carpet, green wallpaper, with maroon trim around the windows and doors and a lighthouse wallpaper border. This room had withstood the test of time and had never been changed since the house had been built. Aviary had never minded the oddly styled room, but tonight as she was laying in her bed an eerie feeling crept over her, as if she were being watched. She then could not resist pulling the blankets tight over her head, who was watching her and where had this feeling come from? The next morning she woke up feeling exhausted, but she got herself out of bed and prepared to go to school. When she arrived home with her mother at the end of the day she asked her mom, “Why in the world would you make a little girl's room so hideous!?”
Her mother replied,“Me?! I had no part in that. The room was like that when we bought the house, been like that ever since it was built.”
Astounded Aviary just stared blankly at her mother and murmured, “But I was there, I helped you, we were all there. It was you, Grandma, and uncle Maurice. I remember stapling the carpet in and putting up that awful wallpaper.”
Her mother just shook her head, “I don't know what to tell you, it must have been a dream.” Aviary knew it was not  dream, how could it be? The memory was so vivid and real, it had sounds and smells. This seemed unbelievable. Confused even more now she started to get ready for bed again and returned to her room as she did every night. Tonight was very peculiar; though, when she turned out the lights the lighthouse wallpaper continued to glow, two dots in the tower of every single one. Aviary now knew who she was being watched by something in the dark. She sprung up from the bed and flipped on the lights! She began tearing off the lighthouse wallpaper. From that night on, she had not slept a minute. She kept on working at the wallpaper; tear by tear she would rip pieces off until she was fully around the room. On the 5th night, she had but only two  lighthouses left on the paper, but then the power went out, and this time she noticed, one  lighthouse had a set of eyes but the other did not. She had only let out a short gasp before she was pulled into the wallpaper, and now each light house had a set of eyes. In the morning, her mother went into her room to wake her up and had noticed that all the wallpaper had been torn off, but Aviary was missing. Months and months went by with the neighborhood full of missing child flyers, but little Aviary was never seen again.       

This story is based on my childhood in the house where I grew up. I used the be terrified of my room becuasde of the lighthouse wallpaper. Although I never went missing I did tear the wallpaper off my walls and once I was a little older I actually reapainted the whole room. The story has been altered to a fiction story to provied more entertainment.