The World's Me | Teen Ink

The World's Me

By Kumori BRONZE, New Britain, Connecticut
Kumori BRONZE, New Britain, Connecticut

"I don't think I can I know I can."

Kumori. That is my name. A name Me gave to me. As I sit in the CHAIR, I wonder why I have existed within Me. Everyday, I am tormented by the Eyes that follow me. The days getting duller and duller until I no longer feel a thing and cannot remember my sole purpose in being in The World for Me.

I question Me several times in my OWN thoughts but it hasn’t been working out lately.

Me and I, in our OWN world, sometimes communicate and have debatable topics with each other about how The World should be.

The World was a place Me used to live in. The World was filled with these beings Me called Humans. Sometimes Me would call it, “The World of Sin,” because of all the wars, suffering and pain it offered. One day, Me was never able to be in The World anymore so he instead created his OWN world, one that he could call home. It was then that Me became  completely attached to his OWN world and not the one he once thrived in with the Humans.

His world had a beautiful white sky and an infinite amount of white land to run around in. However, since his world has an infinite amount of space, it is possible we could get lost. So Me and I always stay together,along with the CHAIR.

The CHAIR is what brings us together. It is a tool that brings the spotlight on anyone who sits on it. Whoever sits on it is the selected character that will instantly be teleported to The World and sleep soundly in his world. You will basically become another EGO of Me if you sit on the CHAIR.

I’m the only EGO of Me so far.

Anyway, one day I came up to Me to question my purpose.

“Why do I have to take your place in the CHAIR?” I said in a sincere but blunt manner.

Me looked at me directly. “Are you saying you want to leave?” Tears streamed down his face.

At that moment, I felt a sense of pity and guilt. “No,” I said, “I will never leave you..”

He suddenly stopped crying and smiled. “Good,” he said, “because I could never live without you.”

I wanted to ask him why he made that response but he vanished, going into a deep slumber for a while.

The next day, I decided to question what he said yesterday. I was lucky because he was awakened. If he had not awoken, I would have to wait which could feel like years of torment.

I again started to question Me.

“Me,” I said nervously, “about yesterday-”

“What is it..?” He said looking at me depressed as he interrupted what I was going to ask him.

“I want to know,” I said, “why you can't live without me?”

He looked directly at me then at the floor and then back at me. “The World isn't for me.”

“What do you mean?” I said a little bit puzzled by his answer.

“You’re the only one who can go through it all,” he said. “I cannot anymore.. it's too much for me to handle now.”

“But why,” I said. “Why is it too much to handle?”

“The Eye,” he said, “it makes me not want to go back there..” He began kneeling down, grasping his head in agony, having a horrid image of the monster that haunted him in The World. He began to remember all the things that horrified him when he was in The World. He suddenly began to cry in pain of those wretched memories.

Suddenly, I too began to remember my purpose of why I sat in the CHAIR In the first place. The Eye, the Humans, The World. Everything suddenly became clear to me.

I approached Me and kneeled in front of him.

“Don't worry,” I said, “I understand now.” I put my hand on his shoulder, giving him comfort.

“You do?” He said looking up to me.

I nodded.

I recalled everything now. From the day of my existence, I was always there Me even though he didn't noticed me yet. When Me was in his middle school years, he began to see me as a faint figure.

I began holding his hand in every trial he had to go through and told him to not worry to what was to come.

However, that didn't stop The Eye from trying to throw him off. The Eye was the most gruesome trial he had to pass through in order to go on with the many other trials that awaited him.  

The Eye is a monster, having eyes who kept watch of Me, had many tentacles which had multiple Eyes attached to them that would wait for the moment that he would snap, making Me lose his sanity and failing the trial completely. It surrounded him wherever he went. The eyes made Me go insane inside. Me wanted to bottled up everything he went through.

One day, Me started to lose his sanity wanted to fail the hellish trial. He wanted nothing to do with the trial anymore. Me began to scream for me. I responded and he saw me clearly than ever before. 

He planned to use me as his new EGO, to escape the clutches of The Eye. He gave me the name, Kumori, which meant “cloudy” in order to make me as the “cloud” that would cover him from The World.

Me was inspired to name me this from the color of his own hair.

Which was grey.

From the day of his birth in The World, it was always grey. When his mother saw this, she was disgusted; she acted like she didn’t even care about it. Not until the death of his father, that she started acting strange around Me. She started screaming, saying that his hair was bad luck because of its abnormality. His mother soon left him, still disgusted by how his son’s hair looked since birth. Me was completely alone, he had no family to go to when he was crying, no one to feed him and no one to love him. Me began doing stuff on his own.

A mother that never actually loved him changed his life and made Me see the World differently.

Because of his greyish hair, kids at school made fun of him, calling him names. In middle school, he was abused, tormented and ignored by the people he once called his “friends.” Only a few of his friends stayed but he wanted them to go away and forget about him but remember who he once was. A timid, shy, funny and jumpy innocent kid.

With that suffering Me had in the past, I was given the name for one reason: To become someone he's not in order to complete the trail.

I followed what he left for me as I went into The World.

I was brought into his high school, experiencing what it was like being someone Me wasn't in The World. It was in that moment that I stumbled upon the great fear that Me had, The Eye. I began to experience the same kind of fear Me had to experience. I knew why he brought me here and I planned to go through it all anyway.

I devoted myself to Me to never allow this monster to control and take over us.

Everyday was a battle to fight the The Eye. The days were duller duller and I began to not feel anything for The World anymore. The more numb I felt the more I couldn't recall why I did this for Me. I became very trivial to the point I kept questioning Me all the time.

Out of the blue an interesting question came to mind so I asked Me.

“What would happen if The Eye came into OUR world?”

Me looked at me, his eyes widening as he knew I would be disturbed and terrified even more. “Something morbid and terrifying will happen.”

I snapped out of my emptiness and was curious to know what would happen  in order to prevent it from happening. “W-What?!” I said.

“A monster in that gate will break free.” He pointed to a nearby gate I had never seen before. It was a very ominous looking gate made of iron. “If it's free, we will both disappear and cease to exist..”

When he said those last words I began to have a cold feeling in my body as my gut was tightening tighter and tighter as if someone used a rope and was tightening it more and more with each wrap. Images raced through my mind of what could happen if IT was released as my head began hurting because I was overthinking it.

“Why didn't you tell me this?” I asked as I was shaking violently.

“I didn't want to tell you,” he said, “because I knew you would be like this. But I thought I would tell you anyway in order for you to understand why you must stay in The World.”

At that moment, I understood his reasons. It wasn't only to protect himself from The World but The World as well.

“AMNESIA,” he said, “That's what will come here to devour us both.”

“What is AMNESIA?” I said feeling a bit paranoid and afraid of it’s name. Even though I was afraid to death, I continued to question Me to get the whole picture of what AMNESIA was.

“AMNESIA,” he said, “is the monster of darkness in this world that was once sealed away long ago.” He began to explain to me that a very long time ago AMNESIA actually wreaked havoc once before upon The World.

AMNESIA is the embodiment of darkness within Me. Because of all the suffering and pain he went through, AMNESIA was born. Me bottled up all the pain he went through from his childhood and finally released it all to awaken AMNESIA to destroy The World. Me couldn’t hold it back anymore because the pain was too great. At that time, Me hadn’t created his world yet because it was still a void at the time but when Me saw what AMNESIA was doing, he decided to seal him up in a gate. A gate that was filled with other monsters that “other people” had to seal up.

What do you mean by “other people” Kumori? Well hear this, this gate is a unique one because it is the same gate in each person’s mind. Each person has their own world they make and when they make it they have a gate there. A gate that keeps everyone’s world stable so that it isn’t corrupted in the process. Each person has their OWN monster inside them even if they don’t know for a while but they will eventually and try to prevent from happening. So in order to prevent it from happening, this gate is used to seal the monsters up.

However, this gate didn’t stop AMNESIA from trying to escape so it instead vomited an egg that was a small portion of itself that would later come to be as The Eye. But before it could hatch, Me threw it into The World. AMNESIA knew that Me would do such a reckless thing like that without thinking about it too much. AMNESIA suddenly spoke one last thing to Me before getting sucked in the gate, “Let’s see if you can pass this trial.”

This concludes the whole origin of how The Eye came to be and how I was brought to The World by the wishes of Me. It all made sense I finally knew the whole purpose of my existence. My mind was made clearer.

I looked at Me, I began sane once more.

“I won't let that happen.” I said calmly. I began swelling up with courage and confidence that I could take The Eye down before this could happen in the future. Since I knew what Me wanted from me, I became more confident in doing what he has left for me. I was chosen to fight against it and restore Me to what he was before he had experienced sorrow and loneliness.

I decided to fight The Eye even if it meant I would grow numb or even lose some memories in the process because I knew it was worth it and someday the mind of Me will be at peace before I even existed.

Even right now after I finally had gotten my memory back, I will always fight for Me even if I get nothing in return because I know our lives be saved if I was the only one to be in pain and not Me. I believe this is my destiny.

I will continue to be his EGO as long as I live.

I do hope however that one day, if I die in battle, Me will stop dreaming in THIS world and face The Eye and change his OWN destiny in The World. His dreams of a better world will become a reality if he lives it in The World.

I was inspired by myself how my other personalities come into being when I don't want them to but they try to protect me anyway. I want people to know who I am.