Mary's Revenge | Teen Ink

Mary's Revenge

By cludwig19 SILVER, Milford, Connecticut
cludwig19 SILVER, Milford, Connecticut

"Kindness is a language that the blind can see and the death can hear." -Mark Twain

As I placed my hands back on the pointer, the Ouija Board immediately rocketed towards the C. I had never seen the board move so rapidly in my life, but with each letter, the frightening, extreme coldness seemed to diminish. It was like the board needed me to restlessly take in new words, needed me to believe. If I did, then nothing would go wrong, and the coldness would decline. Sort after, A, R, O, U, S, E, and finally L scanned across the board. Carousel? What a peculiar, random word to appear.
    "Carousels?! I don't even like them that much," Liz remarked. Panic was stricken across her anxious face. "The only person I remember loving carousels was Mary. I haven't been on one since I was with her. Have I? Does that matter? What does this mean?"
    "I don't know," I sighed, a little worried. Thinking about Mary, my little sister who tragically died when she was five, made me sad. But there's no way the Ouija Board could be alluding to this. The word CAROUSEL repeated once again, our fingers still on the pointer. A chill went down the back of my spine. I was apprehensive and wanted the stop. I started to feel to cold returning and was quickly drawn back to the board. CAROUSEL again. Then, Goodbye.
    "We can't worry about this. The Ouija Board knows nothing. We have better things to do. Just ignore it," I advised Liz, who was clearly frightened.
   "Okay, I'll try. I bet you're right. You know more about this than me," Liz responded.
     The next day we went to school like normal, and slowly got through the day. Surprisingly, I didn't think too much about the Ouija Board. I actually was looking forward to the carnival later after school, and was glad to have something fun to do to get my mind off everything for good.
     I met Liz at nine o'clock for the carnival at a local park. Many kids from school were there, music was playing, and the environment was festive. I bought some popcorn and went on rides, but was mainly there to hang out with friends. I was about to jokingly get on the carousal when Liz grabbed the hood of my shirt.
    "Are you insane? Carousal! CAROUSAL!" she warned.
    "Oh it's fine. That old board doesn't work. Come on, it's a baby ride."
    She slowly, uneasily boarded the ride. I was thinking of happy times, when my sister Mary and I were on this ride together as kids. She died the night when Liz was babysitting her. Mary decided to climb out the window, falling to her death. Liz felt so guilty, but I was determined to remain friends with her.
    In the middle of the ride, there was a creek, followed by a bam! I nearly jerked off the horse when the ride suddenly stopped. The colorful lights shut off, leaving everyone in darkness. This can't be happening, I thought. I'm only dreaming.
     Liz clenched my hand and whispered, "We should not have gone on. The Ouija Board is angry."
We abandon the ride and get into Liz's car, and she drives me home. My parents aren't home tonight because they're still at a friend's wedding.
   As the door of the house creeks open, I hear a faint, familiar sound coming from somewhere distant in the darkness. It's the sound of Mary's old toy carousel that she played with all the time. It used to be a fun, happy sound, but now it was only eerie and alarming. My parents got rid of that toy. Why was it playing? All I could think of was carousel, carousel, carousel. I needed Liz. Now. Voice shaking, I called her and and ran to the door to wait. She arrived five minutes later.
     I asked, "Does this mean we have to do the Ouija Board? This can't be real. I don't believe in that nonsense. But we have to do it to see what it says now."
     Liz moaned. "Let's just find where the noise is coming from. I don't need another sleepless night."
     But I insisted. "I think it's the right thing to do."
     I got out the board and set it up, chilling carousel music still playing from somewhere upstairs. When we placed our fingers on the board, it started to move. We both knew it was not us. The letters scroll across the board. I, M, H, E, R, then E. I'm here.
     "Mary is the only person who relates to carousels. But she CAN'T be here." I ranted.
The pointer started to move again. I, N, E, E, D, Y, O, then U. I need you.
     "Oh my gosh. Make it stop!" Liz screamed.
     "I can't!" I screeched.
Then, B, E, T, H. We both screamed. The haunting toy played louder and louder upstairs until it was blaring. We yanked our hands off the board and Liz said she was going to call 911. Though with every number she pressed into the phone, her eyes made less contact with mine. Her hands began to violently shake until she dropped the phone, repeatedly whispering the word "Mary" until her body began to get sucked into an invisible funnel. Then she was simply gone. This left me alone, petrified and in complete shock. I could not let Liz die. My hand was again slowly drawn back to the Ouija Board. First L, then I, S, T, E, N. Listen. Without thinking, I started up the long path of creepy stairs, terrorizing music louder with every step. In Mary's old room we converted into an office, the once destroyed carousel was roaring on a pile of her old dolls and toys that we had also donated. I smashed the taunting old toy against the wall, and it shattered into a million pieces. I expected silence, but instead heard a loud crash! I left the room to follow the new, piercing noise in my bedroom.
    "OH MY GOD!" I screamed.
     There on the floor of my room, lied Liz, dead, stone cold. She was laying by the window that Mary fell to her death out of, clutching the carousel. Silence permeates the house, and I am left to me and my shock. What just happened?
     "Mary? Liz!" I cried.
There was never a response.

I was inspired to write this piece from my eighth grade Language Arts teacher. Although I am normally not one to write thriller stories, developing this plot was super fun. I hope you enjoy!