Lonely | Teen Ink

Lonely

January 18, 2016
By JessicaLindsay BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
JessicaLindsay BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, Utah
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

I lived alone in a small apartment that often felt possessed by the sound of silence. It was a lonesome apartment on a street corner that seemed busy enough to make the apartment seem like a train station yet whenever I was there no sound was heard. Whether the walls were sound proof or some other force was at work in this small building I had yet to figure out. Startling me from my train of thought I heard the first sliver of sound crack through the silence. "Who's there!" I called in a panic as the sound of footsteps grew louder and more hurried. The sound of chanting reached my ears and I cried out as pain raced through me in a flurry. I raced towards my room and hid under the bed as the footsteps became deafening. I preferred the silence to this crashing and pounding. The steps ended at the foot of where I hid and I crawled back to the wall breathing heavily holding in a sob as pain wracked through me over and over like a sea of my pain washing away all sane thoughts. The lights turned out and candles flickered all around the bed. A lady sat at the end of my bed and started talking lowly yet I could hear it crystal clear. "Leave this place, now my child before we must take drastic and permanent measures." The voice said in a sad tone. I sobbed louder until all I could hear were cries of hurt and sadness. The candles began to give off a impossible heat and the lady chanted louder and louder until I felt like I was ripping myself apart. Then the candles all went out and it was pitch black and I was all alone in a deafening silence. Around me I felt caged in. Claustrophobia sinked in and I tried pushing my way out of this box of darkness, but it just kept pulling me in further and further and further til all I could do was listen to the bold call of the silent apartment.