Witch of a Woman | Teen Ink

Witch of a Woman

By ESDillon BRONZE, Oakley, Idaho
ESDillon BRONZE, Oakley, Idaho

" The struggle your in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow.

Most everyone knows of the myth of Hansel and Gretel, of how they went into the forest and saw a house made entirely of sweets. These children went in this house and began to eat of it, but no sooner had they started than trouble arrived. A nasty old witch trapped them so that she could eat them for dinner, however, Hansel killed the woman before she had the chance to eat her last meal. Now whenever a child’s parents leave them all alone at home, the witch will haunt them for two long and dreary episodes in their dreams, until her hunger for children is forever fulfilled.
The wind whipped through the trees and darkness was surrounding the outlining hills near the home of Bettie Wilson. This was the beginning of a  scary night of terrifying wishes and dreams.
“Honey, we are going to be gone for a few days, so you are going to be here alone. Make sure that you get to bed right on time every night and call us before you go to sleep.” Bettie Wilson’s parents were planning to be in the Bahamas for a long weekend.“Good bye…” she sadly whispered as she watched her parent’s car drive out of the muddy driveway.
Bettie stood there by the door for a few minutes, trying to keep her tears on bay, before she went back into the living room and sat down in the huge maroon recliner by the warm, glowing fire.
Bettie had just begun to drink her steaming hot chocolate when the wind started to howl across her rooftop. Gasping slightly, eyes darting across the room, she was finally content with herself and thought nothing of it and continued to drink her rich hot chocolate. She then heard the sudden downfall of the pouring rain outside and her jumpy disposition made her decide to retire to her bed for the night.
Bettie wrestled her huge mass of thick, curly brown hair into a tight bun, hoping and praying that it wouldn’t burst out as soon as she let go. She then put her 16th birthday pajamas on, a purple, leopard striped onesie, and pulled back the covers to her cold bed. Laying her head down on her soft feather pillow, she began to fall deep into the wonderful land of dreams. But this dream was not wonderful. It was terrible and gloomy all the same.
In this dream, she was standing in a dark room all alone. There was no one else there.
“Hello? Hello! HELLO!” she yelled. But no one answered her.
She began to walk for what seemed like hours, but was only a few minutes in this room of pure, thick, cold blackness. Continuing to tread foreword, carefully watching her feet so as to not fall into gaping holes of dreams, her head hit something rather hard. Quickly, she looked up from her feet and gently rubbed at the new tender spot on her head. Gently, her hands were placed in front of herself, they found a huge block of concrete was there, but it seemed to be moving toward her. Stepping back, the small of her back was pushed against another thick wall, which was also moving behind her and from the ceiling and floor. It was somehow forming a massive box. She started to panick, an anxiety attack building up, almost to the point of boiling over. There was no way out and no way in. The box of walls was getting closer and closer.
“Isn’t there anyone out there? Please help me!!!” she screamed over and over again.
The box continued to get closer until it was harshly pushing against her shoulders. She struggled to push against the walls, but they didn't budge. It continued to get closer and closer, seeming to crush her ribs. Her gasping breathe was a struggle for her lungs to keep up with. There isn’t any way out, she thought, I’m doomed to die and no one will know how. I’m doomed to be alone here forever.
She quit fighting her will to live and curled up into a ball, clamping her teeth and clasping her eyes shut, ready for the slow crunching of bones to begin, but nothing happened. It was as though the box had stopped when it touched the bare of her pale white skin.
After a while, she unclenched her teeth and slowly looked up. A face was looking down at her. This face was that of an old woman, her wrinkled skin and inviting green eyes like that of her late grandmother, who seemed to pull her out of her terror. But, this face did just the opposite.
“This is not a dream,you are all alone in the world and no one is going to help you. And besides, I needed someone for dinner tonight!!!” the woman began to cackle as she seized Bettie’s arm and pulled her out of the box and onto the floor. Bettie flopped down and started to kick at the bony arms that were restraining her. Beginning to wish that the box had killed her before this woman came to snatch her, the witch dragged her away for dinner.
The woman pulled and tugged as Bettie tried to release her arms from this terror. The witch of a woman started to roar with the cry of thousands of children trying to get out of her wrinkled body, and thousands and thousands of coal black crows swarmed around Bettie at the call of their master. Bettie screamed and kicked at the crows as they circled around her and ripped at her skin. She could feel her warm blood slowly trickling down her arms and legs as she continued to struggle both against the hungry old woman and the bloodthirsty crows. The woman began to laugh a harsh laugh as she continued to yank at Bettie’s arms. Her skin was now covered in her own blood and she couldn’t breathe nor see anything of the like. The woman had then said six words that clung to the very strings of her heart, “You are going to die...tonight.” 
Then she woke up. Quickly sitting up, she was still in her bed, but now sitting in a cold sweat. She was gasping so much that her entire body almost shut down from not having enough oxygen. Her breathing finally slowed down enough for her to begin telling herself the normal It’s alright. It was only a dream. Nothing is going to get to you. Just calm down and breathe.
This made her feel a little bit better so she cautiously went back into that awful land of dreams, hoping that she wouldn’t have any nightmares again. But her wish was not granted.
This time, she was sitting on a small, rickety chair in a dark room. Trying to stand up, Bettie quickly found that she could not move at all. Her arms and legs were tied with a rope that spelled out “rashes” everytime she would try to move. She then tried to yell out, hoping that someone could hear her, but all that came out was a muffled cry of hopelessness. After fighting against these ropes she finally gave up and decided that the best thing that to do right now was to find out where this was. She was in what seemed like an old basement, damp and dark, which seemed to be that of her own home.
“My dearest Bettie, how long have I waited for this day,” a voice slyly said from the darkest corner of the room.
Bettie jumped at the sound of the voice, not because of the suddenness of the voice, but because she immediately knew who the voice belonged to. It was the old woman again, but this time, the woman didn’t look as calm and comforting as in the last dream, this time she really looked like a witch. With her emerald green robes and pointed hat, she looked even more scary than in her last dream.
The old woman then pulled out a rusted, silver knife and started toward Bettie. Bettie began to scream and cry, hoping beyond hope that someone could hear her beneath the thick piece of cloth that had been tied between her lips behind her head. Bettie then knew that death was the only option to get rid of this woman. So, in her heart, she gave her life to the terrifying woman so as to never have to go through this experience ever again. The witch was on top of Bettie when all that she could ever see again was the black gaze of death in the form of an old maid.
Bettie Wilson had never woken up from this dream. In fact, she would never wake up again.

This is a Halloween story that I hope will give my readers a thrill.