the boy who disappeared

I sat on the bench eating my melting ice cream cone. People walked by in a rush and I people watched. A boy with red hat came by. He looked troubled and had his head down. As he passed by I said, 'hi.'
I don't know why I suddenly smiled at him when he looked up.
'What do you want?' he grumbled.
He sat down and put his head in his hands.
'Have a bad day?'
He stared at me and asked, 'Why would you care?'
' Because I like strangers! They all have different attitudes, some rich, poor, and I like the loose open-minded people or just waste time listening to bombastic people rant,' I said,' people get very silly sometimes.'
He took off his hat and said,' why do people have it so good?'
' 'If you can't change your fate, change your attitude' Amy tan said that, think about it, there might be more people who wish they were you!' I said smiling.
He looked up and smiled showing tiny white teeth. His smile lifted some kind of weight off my chest. It was a strange, kind smile.
' I have to go,' he said getting up.
I watched him cross the busy street. It was strange now that he was on the other side of the street. He stood watching me and I looked down. I noticed he forgot his hat. I grabbed and stood up going after him. When I looked up he was gone. I looked down the road; wasn't there. I wonder if I would see him again. And I walked off into the sunset.