Doors | Teen Ink

Doors

January 5, 2016
By BaileyReeves GOLD, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
BaileyReeves GOLD, Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
17 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait."
~Hamilton


Two doors: Green and blue. They both beckon to be explored, both whispering to me as their voices trail through the dim light. I take a cautious step towards the blue one, yet just as my foot lifts from the ground below, I am stopped by a sudden, paralyzing chill. The bitter cold washes over me like an icy wave, encircling my already frozen body. What is this feeling? Could it be a sign of sorts? Some kind of warning not to disturb whatever lies behind this door? Could I have possibly awoken a horrendous beast, just lurking in the shadows, stalking his prey? My heart shook at the image which came to mind. Red, piercing eyes that could have turned even the bravest of men’s bones to dust. Pointed fangs, as sharp and glistening as razors, with blood eerily dripping off of them and falling like rain onto the musty wooden floor. I grit my teeth, nearly feeling the pain this demon would have inflicted, had my vision been a reality. It was far too often that I let my imagination overshadow the truth and my senses do not completely recover from the horrifying reverie until a few moments later. When I finally regain composure, i begin furthering my internal confliction, pondering which door to choose. What fate lied behind each one? Ecstasy or evil? Clarity or corruption? However, as i sink deeper into my reflection, a revelation comes to mind. In the grand scheme of things, does it truly matter? Each door in itself represented the very thing I had desired for as long as I can remember. The concept that had me sleepless as I tossed and turned at night, yearning for what i’d been denied of for so long… Opportunity. Escape, liberation, whatever you may choose to call it, my heart thirsts for it fiercely. That thought being so fresh in my mind gives me strength, courage to take that final step into the blue door. And when I see what lies within, my mouth opens to scream, but no sound comes out. It is too late, nobody can hear me. 


The author's comments:

Inspired by a dream.